Jason started preschool this past week and he's got the best teacher ever... me! {Did you catch the sarcasm there?} A gal in our ward sent me an email several months ago asking me if I would be interested in participating in a co-op with five other women. I would never consider doing something like this however the preschools here are ridiculously expensive so the frugal side of me couldn't say no, though every other part if me wanted forget she'd ever asked.
When I was at Ricks College I actually took a teacher prep class. Toward the end of the course we took a test that would tell us what grade we are best suited to teach. When I got my results I wasn't at all surprised to see that instead of recommending I focus on teaching a specific grade I was told that if I wanted to pursue a career in education I would be much better suited in administration.
And while I'm not one who thinks it's absolutely necessary for children to attend preschool, I knew this would be something Jason would love and a great opportunity for him to make some friends here. The mom coordinating it all seems to be very well organized and I think as long as there are consistent expectations and rules from house to house I can survive this. With five of us in the rotation I will only teach the boys about six weeks during the year and it's only two mornings a week for two hours. I can handle that, right?
Here's Jason ready for his first day of preschool.
I feel bad that I didn't even get the poor kid a backpack... I dug out a tiny sling pack though so he could have something to put his Epipen in. The conversation we had on the way home from his first day of school is further proof of my lack of preparation.
Jason: {surprised, yet very matter-a-factly}
"It’s at someone's house, mom."
Me: {oops, did I forget to mention that?}
"Yeah buddy, we get to take turns having it at everyone's house. When we have it at
our house I get to be your teacher. Isn't that neat?"
Jason: {chuckling}
"Dat be so funny Mom!"
Yeah, it is a little funny. Wish me luck!
4 comments:
Pink crocs and all! Love your posts. Mom
Not pink Mom, just very dirty :)
Good luck Holly, you are a braver woman than me. I am sure Jason (and you) will do great.
You'll do great. But I am not surprised your frugal side won on this one... doesn't it always?? :) Mitch is loving preschool and the only thing that could make it better would be to have Jason in his class. Hope Jason has a blast with his new little buddies. And since we don't drink, feel free to have some chocolate before AND after teaching if you so feel inclined... :)
Post a Comment