Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Post-est with the Most-est

I realize a mega-post can be overwhelming, but I am behind on getting pictures organized and with a vacation approaching I would feel much better just plowing through so bear with me (or don’t).

Entrepreneur:  Abigail and a neighborhood friend decided they wanted to set up a table in the neighborhood and sell some of their duck tape creations.  We added some cookies and lemonade into the mix to appeal to more customers.   They decided to set up near the entrance into our neighborhood so they could maximize the traffic that passed them.   


The girls put up a few signs in the neighborhood the night before:


I posted a little blip on the neighborhood facebook page, but I think most of their customers were just driving by.   The majority were construction workers.   The kids and I walked down to purchase some refreshment and while I was there I saw a guy driving a huge semi with a long, long trailer stop right in the intersection, jump out of his rig and buy a few cookies.   As expected the cookies were more popular than the duck tape, but the girls ended up making nearly $80 in three hours...  One guy gave them $20 for two cookies, that’s a $19 tip...not at all shabby.  The afternoon was so successful the girls were already planning when to do it again. 

Our First Pet Ever:  I got an email from the family across the street who was hosting Carly's class gerbils asking if the gerbils could stay with us for a few days until the next host family could pick them up.   I forwarded the email to Justin and he quickly responded "no".  I felt bad though so even though I had zero desire to open my home to a few rodents I told them we could do it.   The kids loved having them here.  They were constantly giving them treats and cardboard to chew on; I'm surprised we didn't kill them with overstimulation.  I didn't like the kids to take them out of the cage very often because it seemed every time they did the gerbils would poop.  I was surprised that the girls would pick up the poop with their barely hands like it was no big deal.   I've realized I have no desire for pet, which is surprising cause I grew up with all sorts of pets that were practically members of our family.   42 hours was long enough and I was happy to be rid of them. 


Hiking:  Justin took a half day on Friday, July 19th so he and the three oldest could hike Rattlesnake Ridge.   They've done it a few times since we’ve moved here.  I've yet to make the accent since Katie had always been too young (and after our family hike later in July I think it would have probably been a bit much for me as well).

Afterward they changed into their swimsuits and played in the lake before heading home. 

Justin took Friday the 26th off of work so we could do some sort of outdoorsy day trip as a family.   His original idea was to visit Mt. Rainier, but once Abigail (and I) got wind that we'd be driving 5+ hours round trip everyone's interest level was depleted.   We live in one of the most beautiful areas so there are plenty of fun options nearby.   We looked online and decided on Denny Creek, a relatively easy 2 mile hike just 20 minutes away. The hike would not only take us to a waterfall but there would also be some natural watersides for the kids to play in. 

The hike was family friendly, Katie had no problem walking the whole way, though we had to hold her hand to keep her from tripping on all the rocks and roots.  Both Jason and Katie did fall but thankfully their injuries were minor.   


hiking under I-90

We learned that we need to bring a first aid kit and bug spray on any future outdoor adventures.  

swatting away the at the insane amount of bugs

Perhaps it's the 20 pounds of baby weight I'm still lugging around, or the fact that I haven't exercised in nearly a year, or the 80 degrees we were blessed with, or the swarms of flies and bugs that encircled and attacked us the entire three hours, but I was grateful to be done with it. 


Justin and the three oldest spent an evening hiking around Tradition Lake on Tiger Mountain…


Justin and a friend of his hiked up Tiger Summit #3 last week as well.   This was one of the first hikes Justin took the girls on after we moved here two years ago, when he got home last week sweaty and exhausted he couldn't believe the girls did so well with the same hike at such young ages. 

I think (hope) it might have been raining as well

Letting it go grow:  Abigail has decided she wants to grow out her hair, which is so, so hard for me.   Longer hair means her curls become waves and waves can easily look like a poufy, sloppy mess.  A few months ago at a church activity the girls (and I) were taught some basic braiding.   This sparked a little more interest from Abigail on getting her hair done (Carly has always had a desire, but unfortunately a mom with little skill).  Abigail has even been looking online for easy hair dos she can do herself.   She has been having fun pulling back her hair in all sorts of styles lately.  Even I managed to get Abigail's hair into a somewhat decent French braid.  


Senior Softball:  Grandpa Fletcher invited us to come watch his final softball game.   He's been playing on a senior center team this year and their final game included a lunch afterward.   We were happy to see Grandpa in action.  Though with a bum knee, foot, back, etc... Grandpa has himself a runner, which means Grandpa hits the ball, but some other senior runs the bases for him.  


The kids had a fun time and enjoyed eating lunch with Grandpa.  Grandpa thinks he's pretty funny and tried to put ice down the kids’ shirts, but they couldn't be fooled.  As we were ready to head home Abigail walked over to say goodbye and got Grandpa good.   On a hot day he actually enjoyed it. 


Swim Lessons:  Jason and Katie took swim lessons last week.   This was Katie first experience with lessons.   She loves the water, had no hesitation getting I'm the pool or getting splashed in the face, but turns out she's a bit timid when it comes to swimming.  She looked so scared anytime her teachers asked her to do something new,  but immediately afterward she's look At me and give me the biggest,  cheesiest smile.   It was hilarious.  She made progress though and by the end of the week she was willing to put blow bubbles (though it looked to be like there were few bubbles and more just she was just putting her mouth in the water), but progress is progress.   She also became comfortable enough to look up at the ceiling while learning how to float on her back and as a result getting her ears under water.   Jason is actually a much stronger swimmer than I thought.  He did great,  aside from being completely unwilling to get in the pool on Wednesday.   It was so random,  maybe a result of tools many late summer nights,  but I found his decision completely unacceptable and as a result he had his first experience with being grounded.   The rest of the week went smoothly,  unfortunately no pictures to document though. 

Dress Up:  Many, many years ago I had little girls in my house that loved to run around in dressup clothes.   They knew all the Disney princesses and both had Princess parties when they celebrated their fourth birthdays. Those years were short and it didn't take long for my girls to out grow dressup and other girly toys and activities.  We hung into all that though and last week the big girls helped my little girl put on a creative little outfit. 


Katie felt pretty special though I haven't seen any interest in doing it again.   I don't even think the poor girl knows who the Princesses are. 

Little Mama:  Katie may not be into dress up but she does know how to pretend.   She came into the office one day asking me to put her Minnie in her shirt so she could carry her around like a baby. 


And just a random picture taken as we wrapped up scripture reading one evening…


And another as I tucked Katie into bed…


Baby Drew:  We all continue to be smitten with Drew.  He's such a good little baby. Last week Abigail helped me try to steal a picture of him smiling, always such a hard thing to do at this age.

My goodness!  That face just melts my heart!

1 comment:

SuburbiaMom said...

Great summary! Little Drew looks like his Fletcher bro and sisters! Miss you!

Post a Comment