Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday

I love Sundays.  Justin usually gets up with the kids so I get to sleep in.  Church doesn't start until 1pm so there is plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast (Justin typically makes pancakes; though if strawberries are in season we make waffles instead and waffles are my domain).  Justin and I even had time to take a little nap this morning before church.

Today was extra special in that we had our annual primary program during sacrament meeting.  The kids had been practicing for many months and were excited, but I was the most excited.  The primary program is my favorite Sunday of the year.  I love hearing the children sing and share the simple truths of the gospel.  The spirit is always so strong and it always ends up being an emotional week for me in a wonderful way.

We had 114 children performing today - that's a lot for one ward.  If I remember correctly, at our last stake conference the stake presidency shared that our ward has 25% of the children in the entire stake and there are eight wards in our stake!  I love our ward.  Not only do we have a solid primary organization with lots of friends for my kids, but our youth program is excellent as well.  With that many kids to squeeze into a 45 minute program the kid’s parts are small, in fact Carly actually shared a part with three other girls.

Like most wards, our ward has a shortage of adults that can play the piano.  Earlier in the year there wasn't a pianist during singing time so the presidency asked if anyone could play the piano.  Abigail raised her hand and accompanied the primary kids as they sang, "Heavenly Father Loves Me."  She did so great that they asked her to play the song during the program as well.

As we were getting ready for church I expressed to Justin how I was concerned about whether I would be able to keep Drew content and still be able to watch the program.  As a primary teacher Justin was required to sit on the stand with his class.  And since Drew prefers his caregiver to stand while they hold him it's been many, many weeks since we haven't had to stand in the halls during sacrament to keep him happy.  As I was getting settled in our usual pew in walked the Carman family, our friends from Auburn, who had just happened to pop into our church while they were in the area.  Barb loves babies and offered to take Drew out if he got fussy (in fact she said it would be my "gift" to her).  She whisked him out just minutes later and I was able to watch the entire program without a baby to care for.   She was my Angel!  Apparently Drew did awesome with her and she even got him to sleep for most of the hour.

The program was awesome.   There were so many times I had tears in my eyes listening to these sweet children share their testimonies.   Loved it. 

The primary presidency wanted to do something special during primary to celebrate after the program so they arranged a talent show.   The kids sat on blankets, ate popcorn and pretzels while they watched their friends share various church appropriate talents. 

Carly and Abigail have been playing duets on the piano and flute lately so we decided Carly would play "I am a Child of God" with Abigail on the flute.   


I bribed Abigail to also play the piano piece that she played at Carly's baptism over a year and a half ago.   It’s a medley of “Amazing Grace/Now we take the Sacrament/How Great Thou Art” I love the arrangement, which Abigail knows, but she won’t ever play it.  I recorded their songs this morning so next time I want to hear Abigail's song I can just hit play instead of beg and bribe her.  



They both did great playing during the talent show, such a proud and emotional mom moment for me. 

Justin usually cooks dinner on Sundays and tonight he cooked one of our favorites, we call it “Susi's meal” after our friend who founded it.  There was no complaining tonight about all the mushrooms and tomatoes, it was delicious.

After we cleaned up dinner there was a game of dominos and then we all gathered to watch the finale of Masterchef Junior, which left Justin and I wondering how we can get our kids cooking gourmet meals by the age of 9 or 10.  Can you imagine?

The kids were all in bed by 8:30pm and then Justin and I finished watching a movie we'd checked out from the library.   The perfect end to a nearly perfect day.  I sure do love Sundays.  Sure there are days there is more bickering than bonding, but today wasn't one of those days.  Today was pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment