Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mother’s Day 2014

I was asked to speak on Mother’s Day which in my opinion is a terrible thing to do to a mother.  My topic was: what my mother taught me about unconditional love – my Mom is an incredible example of this so coming up with what to share actually came quite easily.  My Mom is an amazing example of accepting others and loving without criticism or judgment.  We love and appreciate her so much!  I’m much more comfortable speaking about doctrinal facts and gospel principles than getting all personal - it’s much harder to keep my emotions completely in check when I’m sharing experiences from my own life.  

When we got home from church we had to get our annual Mother’s Day photo before we got into pj’s and settled in for a relaxing Sunday afternoon.


I’m so grateful for the blessing it is to be a Mother to these amazing kiddos!


The day was actually quite ordinary which shouldn’t really surprise me cause that’s usually how we roll around here, but what made it special was the small gifts Jason and Carly made in class.  Jason gave be a big laminated poem with a drawing of me, but it was the note he had written that really touched me.  


Translation:  To Mom, I love you. And I wish I could stay home. And you are funny. And you are awesome. And lovely too. And you are special too. And I wish I was better of keeping my hands to my self. And I am sorry. I am really sorry. And I do not want to get in trouble.

Goodness!  It still brings tears to my eyes just typing it out.  We had to talk about keeping his hands to himself that week after he and a friend got too rambunctious on the bus.  He is such a sweet boy, but there are times he struggles to keep his energy (or frustration) in check.  Man, I love that kid. 

Carly’s class made coupon books for their mothers.  I’m sure we’ve all created and/or received similar books over the years, but her coupons were very personalized to me and are things she knows I would appreciate and love - babysitting, a hand massage, feeding Drew breakfast, and a day to sleep in til 9am – (not to be used on holidays) :)

I’ve got the best job ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment