It makes me laugh when I remember back 17 years ago
when Justin was nearing graduation from BYU and we were deciding where he would
take his first grown-up job.
Justin’s parents were in Maple Valley, WA (where his Dad grew up) and
while attempting to lure us to Seattle, Mike told us that it NEVER snows
here. I’m not sure how much we believed
him, but we were both ready to get out of the snowy Utah winters and the less
extreme summers and winters of the Northwest definitely appealed to us. Once living here we quickly found out
that it does indeed snow in Seattle and when it does it’s a BIG deal.
A couple of our more memorable snowy adventures:
We’ve seen more than our fair share of snow this
year. It was lightly snowing when
we left for church on Sunday and significantly snowing by the time we got
home.
And it didn’t stop for 24 hours. The kids went outside every few hours
to measure how much had accumulated on the table outside. It was pretty much a given that
there wouldn’t be any school on Monday so we stayed up late with the girls
where I clobbered them in Settlers of Catan before sending them off to bed. By Monday morning we had over a foot of
snow.
Justin made omelets in the morning while the
littles watched cartoons.
After breakfast we all bundled up and headed up our
street to the undeveloped portion where the road is a steep downhill slope,
perfect for sledding.
Our
House
That’s
Drew behind Abigail getting pulled up along up our street – the kid is spoiled.
It took many, many runs for the neighborhood to
pack down that foot of snow into a pretty sweet sledding path.
Drew lasted close to an hour before he was so cold
and tired (it’s a long walk back up the hill) that he was ready to come home
and enjoy a warm cup of cocoa.
Abigail and Carly hooked up with friends around
12:30pm and spent the day enjoying different hills around the ridge.
Justin was going to work from home in the afternoon,
but an afternoon with family and friends was too tempting. The Gibbs invited us and the Rowleys over
for lunch – Jen made three different kinds of soup and I brought potato soup –
so yum! We stayed until the evening
visiting and playing games.
While all the other school districts were already
making the call whether to have school on Tuesday our district waits until the
very last minute. I woke up
several times during the night to check the status. Finally at 4:30am they posted a 2-hr delay, but then at
7:50am they changed it to Closed.
Super frustrating. I can
imagine it must be even harder for those families that have to make arrangements
for childcare when school is cancelled at the very last minute.
Anyhow, Justin still went to work and the kids and
I headed back out sledding first thing.
What was fluffy and soft the day before was now slick and icy – making super
fast runs.
I shared this video on Instagram.
Just moments after this video I was fumbling with
my phone to get a video of Jason heading down and I didn’t notice his friend barreling
toward me. He ran right into me
and knocked me to the ground hard.
I hit my head on the ice and boy did it hurt. I headed straight home for some medicine and to lay
down. Talk about a headache. Yikes. The next day my head felt a bit better, but my neck and jaw
are still really sore. Hopefully I
didn’t do any harm that won’t heel quickly on its own. Perhaps we need to wear our helmets the
next time we go sledding.
The kids were back at school on Wednesday after a
2-hr delayed start then the rain set in and has washed most of the snow
away. I think we’re good on snow
this year – come on spring!
















No comments:
Post a Comment