Nov 16: Last night our governor announced heightened restrictions to slow the increase in positive COVID cases as the holidays near. The new restrictions would be effective tonight and will remain in effect for the next four weeks. Modifications include prohibiting indoor social gatherings outside your household, outdoor gatherings limited to five people outside your household, closing restaurants indoor dining, closing gyms and movie theaters, in-store retail would be limited to 25% occupancy limits.
I needed to run some errands anyhow and figured I might as well do that before the stores abide by the new restrictions. Carly joined me we hit up Walmart, Costco, WinCo and IKEA. We also popped into HomeGoods and sent some gnome photos to my gnome-obsessed friend Sommer.
Also had to stop at Crumbl to sample a few of this weeks featured flavors.
As of 5pm today, November 16, 2020 Justin has made it through “busy season” which is a bit misleading to say because he’s been working a ton of overtime most of COVID. Unfortunately, tonight as he was helping load the granite countertop from our bonus room cabinets into the buyers van he pulled his back which completely took him out for a day or two and needing to take it easy much longer than that.
Nov 17: This morning I worked out with my friends – it’d been months and I knew I’d be SORE for days afterward. I think we’re planning to meet up weekly which will hopefully mean I won’t be as sore afterward.
When I got back Carly suggested she should probably get another COVID test. She’s had some cold-like symptoms for a few days and her throat wasn’t feeling great. Again, since she babysits other people’s kiddos we need to be careful. Crazy, that now days even a minor cold means you should hunker down. We made an appointment to get tested in the late afternoon and as expected got negative results.
Nov 20: Last week it was announced that President Nelson would be sharing a message to the world this morning. His message was of hope and he “prescribed” two activities to help us experience the healing power of gratitude.
1. Turn social media into our own personal gratitude journal
2. Thank God through daily prayer
Immediately I posted a picture of my listening to his message and my gratitude for the gospel and the blessing of having a prophet on the earth today to lead and guide us.
#GIVETHANKS // Day 1 // Gospel of Jesus Christ & Living Prophet
Nov 21: Unfortunately, with the governors new restrictions our weekly tennis lessons have been cancelled for the next month. We had a break in the rain today so I got Carly and Jason to join me on the courts. I had fun – I wish they loved practicing as much as I do because I would happily play anytime.
#GIVETHANKS // Day 2 // Tennis, Sunshine & Healthy Body
Finding tech-free entertainment for my teenage son during this pandemic has been a challenge. Thankfully we discovered Jason enjoys tennis and he and I played nearly every week this summer. Since sports are still on hold around here we took advantage of our open schedules and Carly, Jason and I started taking tennis lessons together this fall. It’s seriously a highlight of my week.
I’m grateful today for the sunshine and that we were able to find a dry court to practice our new skills. Also incredibly grateful for a healthy body that is able to keep up with these teens of mine. #givethanks
Nov 22:
#GIVETHANKS // Day 3 // Simple Joy & Dessert
Celebrating my youngest’s half birthday today because he somehow got it fixed in his head months ago that turning 7 1/2 was a thing. He requested cake, games and a movie night so as I see it we all scored. Grateful for an easy excuse to make him feel special and for the joy he brings to our family. And for dessert... always grateful for dessert. 😋 #givethanks
Nov 23: We got some unexpected Happy Mail today from my Mom (Grandma Kesler) today! The big gnome has already found a home on our mantle – Carly has him sitting crisscross-applesauce currently and it will be so fun to hang the three little guys on our Christmas tree. Thanks Mom!
#GIVETHANKS // Day 4 // Beauty of the Earth
I’m grateful for this beautiful world and the opportunities I’ve had to experience cultures and beauty that exist beyond my own. I absolutely love traveling and discovering new places but there’s nowhere else I’d rather call home than the PNW, seriously I live in such a beautiful area! #givethanks
![]() |
| Snoqualmie Falls – Snoqualmie, WA |
I got a kick out of Abigail’s post today…
Nov 24:
#GIVETHANKS // Day 5 // Traditions
Eight years ago a thoughtful home-teacher gave us a fun thanksgiving activity and each year since we take turns adding feathers to our thankful turkey and writing down something we’re thankful for. It was fun to have Abigail join us tonight via FaceTime so she could participate with us. I’m grateful for traditions and the memories I have of the many traditions my mom created in my childhood home. #givethanks
Being our ninth year we had to do a little feather refresh this year, but now everything is laminated and should last for many years to come.
Nov 25: I was happy to see that we made Abigail’s #givethanks list (after alpacas, of course)
#GIVETHANKS // Day 6 // Friends & Memes
Grateful for friends that make me laugh and all the great memes of 2020! #givethanks
![]() |
Nov 26: Thanksgiving
I’ve been gunning for a Thanksgiving out for the past few years. Justin was on board this year though I still couldn’t convince him that Maggiano’s was the way to go. So instead he made us some reservations at Bucca de Beppo with his parents. However, since our governor closed down indoor dining until mid-December we needed a plan B and making dinner at home was it – again. Justin and the kids didn’t want a turkey so Justin heated up some ham and we made the rest of the must-haves.
Drew and Katie helped set the table with our “fancy” dishes.
And after dinner the kids were super helpful with the cleanup and dishes which pretty much made my day.
We had are first ever Hipwell zoom call this afternoon since nobody got together this year for Thanksgiving dinner. It was so great to see everyone.
#GIVETHANKS // Day 7 // Roots
I’m grateful for my roots. Nothing perfect about them but these people helped shape me into the woman I am today. Nothing perfect about that either. I’m grateful that we can love and accept each other even in our differences. So much goodness in each of them.
Tonight we had our first ever Hipwell zoom call and it was just as messy / Chaotic as any in-person gathering would’ve been but so much fun. Grateful for the technology that can connect us when we can’t be together. #givethanks
We played some games this evening and I was even able to get Carly to join us – Qwirkle and Sequence. Jason took this picture of his hand in our final Sequence game that he felt he had in the bag – um, nope – even with that hand I was able to take him down.
We also FaceTimed with Abigail and drew Secret Siblings – I sure am looking forward to having all my kiddos home for Christmas.
And a picture of the kids with our pumpkin turkey which I actually took the day after Thanksgiving because it was already too dark when we remembered on Thanksgiving. I’ll be glad to see our sunset getting later after the winder solstice. Day light savings is rough here in Seattle with it getting dark at 4pm – that’s crazy.
Nov 27: There was a knock on our door late this morning and to our delight it was the two neighbor kiddos asking to play with Katie and Drew. They’ve spent the last two week quarantining so they could see family for Thanksgiving so it’s been two weeks since they’ve played together. And play they did. All day long. And then we invited them over tonight to watch a movie. It really is a blessing to that Katie and Drew have best buddies right next door – even if Katie’s little buddy is 6 years old.
While the kids watched a movie we got the Christmas tree out of the garage and then they were eager to decorate it the next morning.
Nov 28: Sure sign that winters just around the corner is all the leaves covering our streets.
Quite the lunch, no?
Nov 29: Justin’s 45th Birthday
Our Sunday service today was a virtual sacrament meeting week followed by a virtual relief society / elders quorum meeting. So strange that this is the new way we chat as sisters.
We casually celebrated Justin’s birthday today. He was only able to convince Katie and Drew to go on a walk this afternoon around Lake Alice with us. While we were gone Jason made Justin a cake from scratch – yellow cake with LOTS of chocolate frosting. He did a great job!
![]() |
| photo interference |
![]() |
| Nothing wrong with tackling the baker for a birthday photo, right? |
We played an accelerated version of Phase 10 Twist with JKD before bed.
Nov 30: With today being the last day of Black Friday weekend we needed to pick up the restaurant gift cards we purchase each year so we can take advantage of all the bonus offers. The morning flew by as I needed to take care of several things on the computer and then Carly wanted help creating a resume. As we entered the afternoon Justin and I decided to just have me wait until he was done with work (hopefully early) and then we could head out together. It was a productive evening.
















































No comments:
Post a Comment