Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Update...

Jason is now 11 days old and is doing really well – overall he is a happy baby (although this boy can scream) and likes to sleep a lot. We’ve had some concerns this past week with his weight. It is normal for a newborn to lose between 5-10% of their birth weight in the first few days. When Jason lost over 14% and wasn’t gaining (he preferred to sleep rather than eat) we had to start making him eat every two hours. I’ll spare you all the details, but basically it’s an hour long process so by the time I’m done I’ve got about 45-60 minutes to rest until I have to wake him up and start the process all over again… it’s exhausting. Thankfully he was born a healthy 9 lbs. so even though he lost a lot of weight the smallest he got was 7 lbs. 11 oz. I had him weighed yesterday and he gained 4.6 oz. in only 2 days. A normal weight gain is 0.75 oz. per day so he is doing really well. I’m sure in a few weeks we’ll be looking a chubby little boy and won’t be able to believe we were ever concerned about him not eating.

Justin is back at work today after spending the last 4 days in Arizona attending his Grandfathers funeral. Although it wasn’t an ideal time for him to leave, it was great for him to be able to go down with his Mom and sister – all of his cousins were able to be there.


Jason and Grandma - I wouldn’t have survived without my Mom being here. She’s been a huge help. It’s like having a full-time nanny and personal assistant. I could definitely get used to this!

5 comments:

Jackie said...

I think feeding (nursing) is one of the hardest parts of having a newborn. I'm glad that he is gaining weight, but what a lucky mom to have a newborn that sleeps all the time!

Camille said...

I'm glad to hear he is finally gaining. He's such a cute little guy.

Tara said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through all of this but I'm relieved to hear that he is gaining weight.

I hope you're able to get some rest!

Stephanie said...

That is great that he has gained in the last few days. What a stressful few days you had. Can't wait to see him again.

Jenn said...

Sorry to hear of the weight concerns. You must be so tired! What a relief to have your mom there. I'm glad he's gaining and before you know it, you'll have several hours between feedings instead of several minutes!

Post a Comment