Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Scarlett Letter

I am feeling the joy and anticipation of Christmas. The girls are so excited to spend the holiday with their cousins and Grandma. I love their excitement and look forward to spending the holiday with family. However, I’m also overwhelmed with the stress of it all. If everything else in life could stop and I could completely focus on the holiday season I’m sure I’d be filled with the Christmas spirit. Life hasn’t stopped if fact it seems to get even busier.

I inherited the curse of cold sores, my Scarlett Letter. Usually I’ll only suffer through one or two a year. They can be brought on if I let my lips get real dry or most often when I get stressed out. I just got over a doozy of a cold sore last week. Last night I felt the tingle (some of you unfortunate souls know exactly what I’m talking about). I didn’t waste any time and applied medicine immediately. (By the way this stuff is expensive $12 for 0.07 oz.) I put more on before bed and even during the night. However, I woke up this morning and my small bump had multiplied into four. I must have been dreaming of packages that didn’t make it in time and minivans sliding off Snoqualmie pass into the ravine below. My only hope is that I caught it early enough that I can keep the cluster from taking over my entire bottom lip. Tis the season to be jolly….

4 comments:

Tara said...

Sometimes it doesn't feel so jolly, does it?

And the fact that you're travelling and you're trying to do it all with a baby makes it even more hectic.

So sorry about the cold sore.

Jenn said...

Oh I feel your pain. I hope I never get another one. I had no idea how to handle it. I guess that's one thing that comes with experience. You're equipped with treating it so hopefully you'll get rid of it quick! What's this about travelling?

Camille said...

Ugh... those are a pain. Have you tried taking lysine?

Ben and Carrie said...

I totally feel for you, Holly! I too am a slave to cold sores and have been since childhood. Your story about going to bed with the cold sore and then waking up and it was bigger made me laugh, only because that is the story of my life. Cold sores seem to breed at night and I wake up with a small country on my lip, which insists on trying to take over my face. They are awful and getting one at Christmas is the worst. Here's to wishing you a fast recovery, and to hoping my lips don't feel sorry for yours and decide to join in on the game of cold sore mania.

And yes, cold sore medicine is so expensive- like paying for gold, really. My sister once saw a tube of mine and wondered if it was a free sample because it was so small.

Post a Comment