Monday, June 23, 2008

It all started with a phone call…

Justin’s cell phone rang on Sunday, June 8th. Caller ID indicated it was the 1st counselor in the stake presidency, President “B”. He asked if we could meet with him some time that afternoon. (Oh no, I thought, stake conference is in two weeks) Of course we both started speculating who was getting a new calling. I have been in my stake calling for over four years, but we wouldn’t have to meet with the stake presidency just for me to be released. We both love our ward callings. I am serving as the young women’s secretary. The girls are amazing and being a secretary (behind the scenes with little speaking or teaching involved is perfect for me). Justin has been ward clerk for over three years so we figured it was probably his turn for something different. Of course we were nervous what that would be. Justin’s work can be very unpredictable. I feel like I can’t fully commit to being someplace at any given time because he might have to work late.

Justin met with President “B” for only a few short minutes before I was asked to come in. I felt a huge sense of relief. I figured if it was a calling that required a great deal of Justin’s time they would have needed to talk for much longer. I walked into the room and Justin was smiling… at that point I knew we were in for something we could easily handle.

President “B” started talking about various callings and responsibilities. He mentioned that some callings aren’t even in the manuals. (Now I’m thinking, yippee, Justin’s going to be the stake grass cutter, we can handle that). Then he continues by saying that some callings are even included in the scriptures (oh, no this is heading in the wrong direction). He turns to the scriptures and starts reading from Doctrine and Covenants 107. I don’t remember what the verses were I just remember hearing words like: “high priest” and “council”. I was so confused. Why was Justin smiling when I came in? He couldn’t possibly be excited about this. As soon as President “B” officially asked if Justin would accept a calling on the stake high council, I turned to Justin and asked if he knew what the calling was before I came into the room. He didn’t, this was the first he’d heard it as well.

Justin (and I) accepted the calling and was ordained a high priest yesterday afternoon. I’m certain he will learn a lot as he serves in this capacity. When he receives his assignment (i.e. assigned to a specific ward or to a stake auxiliary) I’m sure we’ll have a better idea what were in for.

Wish us luck (I don’t think “congratulations” are in order)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. What a hefty calling. Good luck to the both of you!

Ben and Carrie said...

Oh, the dreaded calls from the Bishop and Stake Presidency....... been there. We play the speculation game too and it's always a nail biter. Stake grass cutter (that's hilarious) would be a great way to do a stake calling with out all the time commitments! Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you guys.

Good luck for sure! I hope this doesn't require him to be gone too much from you guys. If he is, our families can team up and have parties when our hubbies are gone. But congratulations just the same- Justin is a great guy and is obviously needed and wanted in such a great and high calling.

Post a Comment