After two hours on the road it became clear we weren’t going to make our ferry. (By the way it was “non-refundable”, but I’m hoping we can at least get a credit so if anyone is traveling on the Clipper to Victoria or San Juan, let me know…)
Anyone that knows me understands that I don’t like to be late, and I don’t handle being in a rush. I don’t like driving, especially in a city, in the rain, and in bumper to bumper traffic. So missing the one ferry out of Seattle was a major bummer. (I was cursing Justin at this point... not that he caused the accident, but someone tangible needed to be blamed and he did convince us to drive.)
We decided to take our chances and drive an additional hour and a half and try to catch the state ferry up north. We made good time and we both sighed a huge sense of relief when we pulled into the ferry lane with time to spare. We were going to make it to San Juan after all! However, we had one more time constraint. Our ferry was due to arrive on the island at 12:10pm and once we got there we needed to drive to the other side of the island for our 1pm whale watching tour. So we were excited when we pulled onto the ferry and parked in the front of our row. However, when it came time to deboard our row was one of the last. We sat in the car only a few feet from the exit waiting for our turn, it seemed like an eternity. When it looked like we weren’t going to make it to the dock in time we tried to call our guide to ask him to wait, but there was no answer. Seriously, could it be any more difficult to get anywhere? I drove quickly and we did make it (late, but they didn’t leave without us) and all the stress was worth it.
I know the pictures aren’t great. It’s nearly impossible to take pictures while on a small boat, but I have to share.
We were lucky enough to see three different pods of orca whales.
There was a pair of porpoise (dolphins) that played by our boat for about 10 minutes. They were adorable and kept jumping in and out of the water. So hard to catch on film, but soooo amazing.
This is Captain Jim. He keeps his eye on the orcas while steering the boat with his foot. Classic tour guide humor, but he really knew his stuff.
On land we saw deer eating along the hillside and a fearless little fox followed my Mom and me near a hiking trail.
We ate great food, attended Shakespeare’s play “The Tempest” at an outdoor theatre, walked around the little shops in the harbor, and visited a lavender farm.
Aside from the first several hours of our trip, it was a great get away and I am so glad I could spend it with my Mom.

7 comments:
Three years? What about SF? That was 20 months ago. I think you must have meant to say "It’s been way too long since I’ve had an entire day and night without children [and my husband]."
You definitely do need more time away and hopefully the NYC trip [with your husband but without kids] will be a step in the right direction...
I have to admit I did convince them to drive and that is what will always be remembered but I should also point out that I was not the driver that chose a Seattle freeway where an overturned semi was already blocking the whole freeway for half an hour. That is why the radio has traffic reports on the 4's or on the 7's.
Okay, so San Fransisco [with husband, without kids] was 21.5 months ago (almost 2 years). And that's the only vacation we have been on without our kids EVER.
Before this weekend, it's been over FIVE YEARS since "I've had an entire day and night without children [and my husband.]
Since Justin's agrees I need more time away... who's up for a little get away? One night was not nearly enough. :)
You guys...crack me up! I can just hear the debate. Despite the setbacks, looks like you had a great getaway with your mom. Glad you had some sightings! I would have liked to visit the lavendar farm. Sign me up for the next getaway ohne mein mann und kinder!
ME!!! Preston has been going out of town about every other week for the past couple of months, and he is going to be gone to different places for most of the next 3 weeks! I think some time alone with the kids would be good for him (and me!) We should plan something!!
Good luck with the Clipper refund. Their boat actually broke down on us, and they still wouldn't give us a refund. Sounds like you guys saw quite a bit of wildlife. "My" Fox has been researching about foxes and they are typically not afraid of people. In fact, in Britain there are more foxes living in cities among the people than those in rural areas. Hope you had as grand a time as it sounded. The overturned semi only makes the trip more memorable!
You guys are funny. That really stinks about being stuck on the freeway, I am glad you made it though. What a great getaway for you and your mom.
Post a Comment