Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our First Night Together

Growing up every 4th of July my family would head down to Layton High School to watch the fireworks put on by the city. We did our best to find the perfect spot, unobstructed by trees and as close to the action as possible. We laid out enough blankets so we could all comfortably lay down and enjoy the show. One year we got the perfect spot. Or so we thought. Once the firework show started we found ourselves being rained on by hot ashes. One of our blankets burned in several different areas. My Dad contacted the city. I’m sure more out of concern for the safety of the patrons than about the ruined blanket. The city apologized and issued him a check for $50 to cover the cost of the blanket. The blanket didn’t get thrown away though, and sometime thereafter I adopted it as my own. The damaged areas were quite bad, the fabric so charred that it would break off. So I took it upon myself to patch it up with some of my Mom’s random scraps of fabric. The blanket has traveled with me ever since. It has been through four years of college and ten years of marriage. There are several areas were the fabric has completely worn away exposing what little batting remains. It’s ugly. It’s faded. It’s completely worn thin. I find pieces of it’s guts on my bedroom floor. Last year I finally got some decent bedding. With strong encouragement from Justin I tried to sleep without my old yellow blanket. I probably lasted a month without it, but it somehow found its way from the closet back onto my bed at night. It’s soft, lightweight, and smooshable, no blanket less than 10 years old will feel the same way. I know - I sound crazy. I’m pretty sure I’m well past the age where it is acceptable to have a blankie.

torn, patched and worn thin

nothing but a few scraps of batting inside

I recently purchased a new blanket with the hopes that it would provide the same warmth and function as the old and I could finally retire my tattered yellow blanket for good. However, I have commitment issues so the new blanket remained unopened for weeks. Until last night when Justin took it upon himself to put the new blanket on our bed. So how did it our first night go? It took me over an hour to fall asleep. Was that because my mind runs 24/7 or was it because I didn’t have my yellow blanket???

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Awwwww...you are so cute! I didn't know you had a blankie! I learn something new every day.

Ben and Carrie said...

I would not have pegged you as a blanket girl. Your blog teaches me so much! :) I'm a pat rack with certain items and have hung on to things that are old, tattered and disgusting but sometimes it's so hard to let go. Enjoy that blanket- it doesn't look like it will be around for much longer!

Post a Comment