Monday, June 1, 2009

"All Done"

Jason has asthma and while I realize there are much worse health issues my boy could have besides allergies and asthma, it can still be difficult to deal with. Every so often his asthma acts up and he sounds like Woody’s friend Wheezy from Toy Story. After his last episode I bought a nebulizer so we would be able to treat him at home. Yesterday was especially bad so we broke out our new contraption only to realize we were missing an essential piece to use the face mask. We attempted to stick the provided inhaler into Jason’s mouth and struggled unsuccessfully to get any medicine into our strong, hysterical little boy. By the time we got home from church at 4:30pm he was completely wiped out from having to work so hard to breathe that he quickly fell asleep and slept til 8:30 this morning (that’s even after sleeping for two hours before church).

This morning he was still wheezy, but much better and he was VERY happy (who wouldn’t be happy after sleeping 16+ hours?). I called the pediatrician office and picked up the missing piece to the nebulizer. While we were there the doctor wanted Jason to do a treatment in the office. What a workout. I literally had to wrestle with him to try and keep the mask on his face. The only time he wasn’t trying to pry the mask away was when he’d hold his little hands up in the air signing/pleading to be “all done.” Thankfully, the doctor came in after five minutes and told me we could stop even though we hadn’t finished all the medication. Jason and I were hot, sweaty and grateful to be done…very traumatic for us both.

Isn’t it wonderful how quickly children forgive their parents? But just to be safe (and since I still hadn’t eaten breakfast) we swung by Jamba Juice and tried the new Blackberry Bliss… just what we needed. Jason is once again a happy (wheezy, but happy) little boy and is sleeping it off.

2 comments:

Chrystie said...

Wow, that sounds HORRIBLE. I had to hold Daxton down for his immunization shots last week, and it sucked big time. Can there be anything worse than having your crying baby looking up at you and wondering why you are torturing him?

Ben and Carrie said...

Poor baby. We had to do a few nebulizer treatments once for a lung infection and Mitchell HATED it. Jason is such a trooper. And with his "All Done".... his speech therapist would be so proud!

Post a Comment