Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin Patch

Well, we did it! We made it to a pumpkin patch this year. It was this time last year that I was feeling very unfestive. AND since we’re missing Halloween this year I’ve been quite bummed. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. When else can you rake in this much candy in under an hour?

Girls candy – Halloween 2008

With Jason old enough to participate this year can you imagine the loot we could have come home with?? I can. Of course, we are very excited for our vacation to the Caribbean, but who can blame me for wanting both the tropical destination and the piles of candy to delight my sugarloving taste buds?

We had a super tight schedule Saturday with just enough time in the afternoon (skipping Jason’s nap) to squeeze in a trip to Spooner Farms. This is our first time visiting this pumpkin patch, but we heard it had a great corn maze and lots of fun picture opportunities.




Justin and I have never done a corn maze and we were both shocked with how complex this maze was. I imagined straight pathways, clear right and left turns. This maze actually had a face carved into the corn (of course you wouldn’t know that unless you were looking down on the entire thing). Without a map I can’t imagine anyone figuring out where to go.

If you look closely Abigail is holding the map of the maze – crazy complicated!

To make it more interesting they had 6 mailboxes throughout the maze – if you find all six you get a prize at the end.

Here’s Abigail ready to punch her card at mailbox #4

When we found out the course was at least 2.1 miles (more if you get lost or take any wrong turns) we knew we needed to hustle. After a weeks worth of rain the paths were a muddy mess. Justin ended up carrying Jason through most of the maze.

Look at all that mud on Jason’s pants.



After the maze we picked out a pumpkin to take home. I asked Justin if we should get a few extras for the kids to carve and he immediately shot me down. He said he didn’t want them using knives, but I think he just didn’t want to fork out anymore money. I guess we’ll leave carving pumpkins for another year.

Jason thought he was strong enough to handle the wheelbarrow. He tried with all his might and was able to push it an inch or two.




The kids were each excited to pick out a mini-pumpkin to bring home.


We had a great time and could have easily spent another hour at the farm. While we were in the maze Abigail told us she wants to bring her kids here when she gets older. There was so much to do and see that we didn’t even know that we had missed out on seeing all the farm animals. Next year we’ll try and give ourselves a little more time to enjoy it.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

Chrystie said...

Good job, Holl, I am proud of ya. Sorry about the mud, I never thought about that. (Keep working on Justin, and maybe next year...Jack o'Lanterns!)

Camille said...

Looks like I need to try out Spooners. Looks like lots of fun. I think that corn maze would make me crazy though.

Jackie said...

We have gone to Spooner's for the last 3 years but have never done the corn maze. Brian is the holiday party pooper in our family.

We must have just missed you Sat.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous!

Jenn said...

Spooners looks like a great farm! Glad you got to squeeze in some holiday fun before your trip!

Post a Comment