Over the years I’ve really tried to limit the amount of TV my kids watch. Each of them from a very early age (like 6 months old) have been fascinated with the TV and would sit in front of the TV in a zombie-like state for hours if allowed. Sure that does have its advantages at times, but it’s something I try to avoid. However, with me not feeling very well over the past few months Jason has watched a show or two practically everyday. His favorite is by far Curious George “Ooh Ahh” as he calls it. As I was sitting on the couch with Jason the other day watching an episode of Curious George it dawned on me that George doesn’t speak at all. I can’t help but wonder if I’m doing my speech delayed son a disservice by encouraging his love of a character that can’t speak a lick of English and grunts and points when he wants something. Maybe we need to find a different show were Jason may pick up a word or two.
Future fashion divas?
My girls are easy, non-fluff girls. We don’t do hair bows, fancy braids, or gigantic Mormon headbands and floral hair décor. Not that they would be opposed to any of the above, but I’m just not one of those moms. Abigail’s hair style consists of a dollop of mouse, a little hair scrunching, and a simple brown clip. With Carly’s stick straight hair it’s not unusual for us to leave the house in the morning and neither of us have even thought of running a comb through it.
They wear whatever I purchase them (or gets handed down to them) and couldn’t care less about fit, color, or style. Makes shopping for them really easy and relatively inexpensive. Abigail has been wearing the same winter coat for the past three years so she was overdue for something larger. I finally got around to getting her a coat on Saturday and she immediately put it on and headed back outside with friends. Carly quickly scooped up Abigail’s old coat and with a huge grin on her face asked if it could be her coat now. Of course that was my intention, but I didn’t imagine she would be quite as thrilled as she was to wear a coat that has half a dozen huge safety pins holding on the hood and is definitely well worn.
Sure I wonder if I should be more concerned about how put together my girls appear, but there’s definitely lots of advantages to keeping it this way too. I hope they will always have the confidence to look past all the exterior stuff and just be happy with who they are.
(Abigail obviously wasn't very excited to pose for a picture)
Sweet Treat
Justin’s idea of a yummy treat
2 comments:
Curious George is also Olivia's favorite character and I always wonder if it's good that we are encouraging her to like a cute little monkey that always does naughty things but never gets in trouble...but I love that 30 minutes of peace!! So, I say don't worry about it (and I love Abigail's face in that picture!!)
Super Why! on PBS is one of Aubrey's favorites. It's a little later though. It's great that your girls are so easy going. Aubrey definitely has opinions and requests something in her hair but I'm finding hair things all over the house. She just ends up taking htem out. We tried pigtails with ribbons today for church but she pulled the ribbons out. Darn, it would have been cute too. I tried.
Post a Comment