Thursday, April 8, 2010

Girl’s Night Out

Having done this before, we have a pretty good idea how much our lives are going to change in the next few weeks – adjusting to the demands of a new baby while trying to recover physically, the likelihood of nursing difficulties, waking up during the night, etc… One of the many other changes includes my loss of freedom. So we’ve been trying to do things now that will be more difficult with a new baby. On Tuesday, we got a sitter so I could meet Justin in Bellevue for lunch at Daniel’s Broiler (courtesy of his boss). After a delicious lunch I spent a little time shopping for the perfect diaper bag – which proved to be much more difficult that I’d imagined.

Last night I had a night out planned with my two favorite girls – Miss Abigail and Miss Carly. I know they are going to be HUGE helpers, but I also know that the demands of a newborn will be felt by them as well and it won’t be as easy for us to get time together. So I surprised them with a night out… just the three of us. I didn’t give them any clues to what we were doing and they bombarded me with questions all day. For some reason roller-skating kept coming up… for real, they think I’m in any position to take them roller-skating?? A friend recently told me about a nail salon in town that also caters to kids. I knew it would be the perfect activity for the girls. They LOVE getting their toes painted and I definitely wanted a little pampering as well.

The girls were hooked up with fun massage chairs, including their own video monitor to watch a movie on. I had a nice grown-up chair right beside them.


After their pedicures I found out it would only cost $3 more to get their fingernails done too. The girls know of my dislike of painted fingernails, but I figured they were going to be waiting for me to get done anyhow so I caved in and broke our rule… but stressed that it was just this once. I have to admit they really did turn out cute and to the girls it really was the cherry on top of an already incredible experience… so well worth it.


We were trying to think of a way to show off their painted/jeweled thumbs and still have their faces in the pictures… Carlys came up with this...



After we were all fancied up with went to Dairy Queen for dessert. The girls got to order whatever treat they wanted (something that they think only Grandpa lets them do). It was such a fun evening and it was obvious how much it meant to them. It really was a special night for me too and made me realize - even more - how lucky I am to have these two girls in my life.


In case someone’s interested we went to Perfect Nails on 16th Street NE – you won’t get a spa-like atmosphere (it’s in a strip mall), but from now through the summer adults get a manicure & pedicure for $25 and it even includes paraffin dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment