Saturday, June 19, 2010

Experiencing Technology Difficulties

This has been one of the most frustrating weeks and it’s all because of modern technology.

Several months ago my computer started running very slowly, its over 5 years old so I wasn’t surprised. I did my best to clean up the hard drive and bought a fancy external hard drive to back up all my files.

Things got worse. The external hard drive was faulty so the company replaced it. The virus software I purchased only made things slower. The replacement external hard drive continued to have problems. I found it frustrating that the company actual told me not to use the included software and instead manual drag and drop the files I want backed up. Why would I spend over $100 so I can do it all on my own anyhow.

Then my internet stopped working. In the process of fixing that, a main system file got "corrupted" and I had to restore the computer to original factory settings just to get it turned on.

The result is a computer without any of my programs installed (Photoshop, QuickBooks, Microsoft office) - internet still not working properly, loss of years of calendaring, even worse I may have even lost years of pictures and other important files... But I can’t find that out cause the external hard drive still has issues.

I’ve spent hours on the phone trying to get help:

Microsoft: for internet explorer that won’t work

Qwest: our ISP

Hp: the manufacture of the possessed pc AND the printer that won't reinstall because its "obsolete"

Norton: for the supposed virus/trojan that has recently taken over my already issue plagued pc

Western Digital: to get try to retrieve backed up files that I hope exist

But it’s all a vicious circle: everyone sending you to another company because they can’t fix their problem until all the other problems are addressed.

We knew we'd need a new computer soon, but this is a horrible way to go out. Several members of my family have raved about Mac computers for years. In fact my sisters Christmas card had each member of their family proudly holding an Apple product. I've been tempted to make the switch for years and this is the perfect opportunity. Hopefully tonight I’ll come home with a brand new computer and I’ll be able to post some of the fun things that have been going on amid our technology disaster – so stayed tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment