Sunday, May 12, 2013

picture-a-day {May.12 – being a mother}

Earlier this year I made a goal to get our 2010 pictures in an album before the baby was born.  I started out strong and actually enjoyed looking through the old pictures and journaling.  I made it through Katie’s birth and then haven’t done a single page in the last seven weeks.   I know I’ll get it done someday, but I’m ok that it likely won’t be anytime soon.  Today as I focused on what a blessing it is to be a mother I was reminded of an entry I’d written just weeks after Katie was born that I never posted. 

(April 2010)  So the hope was that after Katie was born Justin and I would feel a sense of finality... that our family was complete with the birth of our fourth child.  Instead, just moments after she entered this world, I commented to Justin, "Why would we never want to do this again?"  And it was clear he felt the same overwhelming joy I was feeling. I really wish I could find the words to adequately describe how I felt that day.  As her birth drew near I often found myself completely baffled and amazed knowing that inside me was a person, a small child we created.  I was certainly big enough to be carrying around a baby, but still the miracle of it all was never far from my mind.  Then she was born and suddenly I was holding my little girl - as real as it could be. And despite the fact that she was screaming at the top of her lungs, I was smitten.  Instant connection.  Overabundance of love.  It’s been almost 2 weeks and I still can't get enough of her.   I have no idea if we'll have another child someday (FIVE kids is a lot!) but without a doubt, the hardships endured this past year are SO worth the reward.  My heart is full - I am so blessed!

I’m thrilled we get to do this again!

1 comment:

the Holyoaks said...

Love the post. Those are such sweet thoughts and I'm sure Katie will love reading them someday. I love the picture with you and your kids! You are so cute pregnant! You look awesome!

Post a Comment