My Mom was here
for three weeks. I’ve never had
anyone in my space for that long (not even Justin), but honestly it went by so
fast and it was wonderful to have her here. Normally I’d consider myself very independent, but I have no
shame in admitting that I needed and accepted all the help she was there to
offer. You want to fold my underwear?
{sure, why not?} You’re totally cool
with me sleeping in til 11am? {okay, my pleasure.} You’re going to do 50 loads of laundry while you’re here and
wash countless dishes? {ok, have at it.}
Besides the
obvious need to have her here to take care of the kids while we were in the
hospital, my mom made those first few weeks so much easier on all of us.
We were going
through lots of bottles and pumping gadgets everyday and she kept our small
supply clean and ready. The girls commented how spoiled they were because
the dishes were always unloaded for them and Justin and I washed very little as
well.
She did all the
laundry - countless loads washed and put away.
She mended my
stash of clothes, socks, and toys in need of repair and also hemmed the drapes
for the girls’ room so we can get those hung.
She got the kids
off to school on her own nearly every morning. There were a few mornings
I didn't even make an appearance until 11am.
She read the
books on my book list and let me know whether they were worth the read.
She stayed on top
of school projects and showed interest in what the kids were doing at school
and how their day went. She even went with Carly on an all-day outdoor
field trip.
Drew spent lots
of time snuggled up with Grandma, We had a routine that after I nurse she
held him while I pumped and then she would give him a bottle while I cleaned up
for the next cycle. It would have been so incredibly difficult to stick with
the feeding routine without her help throughout the process.
She did all this
with such a willing and happy attitude. I'm sure there were times she was
tired or frustrated, but she never made me feel guilty and she encouraged
me to rest and take care of myself.
Her husband Val
drove up for the last few days of her visit and we managed to get out and do a
few fun things together. I think
anyone that has ever visited us has had to experience Justin’s favorite fish
joint – Ivars. We didn’t make any
exceptions this time around even though it was a 45 minute drive with traffic
to get there.
After Ivars we
stopped by Krispy Kreme to take advantage of National Donut Day and get a free donut
each (somehow Justin managed to get four!) Grandma treated us to an extra dozen to take home.
We also visited Snoqualmie Falls – a must see, especially since it’s practically in our backyard.
Drew was hungry
Katie took quite
the liking to Val and pretty much followed him around the house chatting his
ear off. He read lots and lots and
lots of books and stories to Jason and Katie in the two days he was here.
The last time we had Mom and Val visit was way back in February of 2010 when Abigail was baptized. For her birthday they gave her Dominos – of course, we had to play while they were here.
The time for them to leave came far too soon for us, thankfully, we’ll see them in August for our family reunion.
Thanks for all your help Mom!









2 comments:
We loved being there! Thanks for the tribute! Tell the kids we love and miss them!
Your mom is pretty cool! And how lucky are you?!? I think the last time I slept in until 11 was in high school!
Post a Comment