Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Just shy of six weeks

Working on this post made me sad, Drew is growing, someone commented recently that he no longer looks or sounds like a newborn.  He’s advanced to wearing size 1 diapers and last week he outgrew his first outfit, I hate that he's already to big to wear his little froggy jammies that he wore home from the hospital. 

Drew weighed in at 10 pounds, 3 ounces last Monday when we last met with the lactation lady, he was 2 days shy of 5 weeks old.   That's a two pound weight gain in 3 weeks, which is great.  As a result, I finally started to skip supplementing Drew with a bottle after each feeding which has made my life so much easier.  I've been so anxious to rid myself of the bottles that the trick will now be too keep them familiar enough that he'll still take a bottle on occasion. 

Drew has a heart shaped tongue; it has a little dimple or indention right at the tip.   The lactation gal I’ve met with a few times thought that might be part of the reason he struggled with nursing.   

Drew gave me his first real smile at two weeks old.   My mom was here and I don't think she believed me, until a day or two later when he smiled at her.  We now get smiles everyday.

I'm still not used to his name, I like it, but I haven't used it enough.  I often call him Bug or Bud.


Shortly after Drew was born we were watching the news with my mom one night and there was a story of a father who had put his baby in the freezer to get her to stop crying.   It was sickening to hear (which is why I don't watch the news, there are so many terrible things in the world) anyhow they interviewed a doctor who reported that on average babies cry three hours a day, for no reason.   We've been blessed with pretty content babies so I was shocked.  When I took Drew to his pediatrician at 2 weeks old, the doctor said that he always tells parents that babies crying will peak at six weeks old and he also repeated the whole three hours a day approximation.   I'm happy to report that we aren't anywhere close to that.  In fact the other day Justin asked if Drew had even cried at all that day.   Sure he can cry, but it's not often and rarely lasts more than a few seconds.  So grateful for our content little guy! 

3 weeks old

Up until last week it seemed Drew would poop or pee while I changed his diaper nearly every day.   The boy has peed on himself numerous times and I tell ya he can project, though he rarely spits up for which I am very grateful.

Drew doesn't seem to have lost any of his dark hair. He hasn't grown any either so he's still sporting the old man look with it being really short in the front on top and long on the sides.

Drew keeps himself on a pretty regular feeding schedule, even at night he'll wake up to eat every 3-4 hours, though last night he went over five hours for the first time.  He always goes right back to sleep at night after eating.  If it’s after 6am there’s a chance it may take him a little while to fall back to sleep.  If that’s the case I usually just bring him into bed with me so I can help him keep his binkie in his mouth while I doze back into dreamland.


Still sleeps in a play n' pack in our room at night and all over the house during the day. 


Drew still doesn't mind loud sounds.  This morning he slept next to me in the Baby Bjorn while I got the house vacuumed. 

Drew is very patient with his older siblings, sometimes after Jason had been holding him for awhile I'll notice Drew is completely off kilter or scrunched up, without any objections from Drew.   Katie likes to get right up in his face and in a high pitched voice loudly talk to Drew.  He is adored by us all and gets plenty of snuggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment