We got home from camping very late
on Monday night, which left us just one day to get cleaned up and ready for
school to start bright and early Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, I
woke up Tuesday feeling terrible. We managed to get unpacked and through
TEN loads of laundry, but I was wiped out and pretty low on patience.
I wanted to do everything I could to prepare the kids for a
wonderful first day, but it was hard when I was feeling so crummy and wasn't
able to do everything I'd hoped. The idea of waking up at 6am the next
morning didn't help me feel better. We're used to late summer bedtimes and
sleeping in till 9am. I tried to keep it together though and when Abigail
asked if I could braid her hair for her first day of middle school I happily
agreed.
So I've got a middle schooler.
To be honest it doesn't feel as strange as I thought it would.
Abigail is ready and excited about middle school and she's got a great group of
friends at school. Last year she only had one other LDS girl in her
grade. With the addition of an entire grade from another elementary
school going to her middle school Abigail now has over ten LDS girls in 6th
grade with her which is awesome! She's come home excited about all the
different activities she can get involved in. So far she likes her
classes and teachers and I'd venture to say the class she is most excited about
is art. A great start to what I hope will be a fun year for her!
Abigail catches the bus at 7am!
Unfortunately the bus stop isn't very close and there's only one boy
nearby that walks there so we really miss having other kids for her to walk
with. Justin walked with her the first day and he's been able to drive
her on the way to work the other days.
Jason and Carly leave the house an
hour later. Carly also wanted her hair braided. I seriously need
to learn how to do cute hair for my girls. Carly got the teacher she was
hoping for. Her teacher taught science and social studies last year to
all the 3rd grade classes so they already know each other which makes it comfortable
and fun from the get go. Carly has been looking forward to today since it
will be her first time attending her High-C class.
I've had to wake Jason up most
mornings. He hasn't been nearly as excited for school as I'd hoped.
He hasn't complained about it, but I think it's a long day for him. I
didn't know anything about the first grade teachers at the school but when I
ran into a friend at the meet the teacher activity she told me both of her kids
had Jason's teacher and that she's the best! An added bonus is that his class has a student teacher –
can’t hurt to have another adult to help teach all those six year olds.
The boys at the bus stop
Carly and some of her neighborhood
friends
I know it's only been a few days
but I already miss having the kids around. Katie and Jason are great
little playmates, thankfully Katie also plays great on her own, but Jason is
missed. Another big adjustment for me is not having the girls around to
help with Drew. They got out of
school for the summer right after my Mom left after being here when Drew was
born, so this is the first time I've been on my own. No longer can I hand
him over while I get in the shower or run a quick errand. Strange how different
it is without them here.
When we got home from walking Jason and Carly to the bus Katie found herself a couple empty folders and after she stocked them with paper and pencils she declared she was ready for preschool. Too bad we’re too cheap to pay for preschool - she would absolutely love it!
When we got home from walking Jason and Carly to the bus Katie found herself a couple empty folders and after she stocked them with paper and pencils she declared she was ready for preschool. Too bad we’re too cheap to pay for preschool - she would absolutely love it!








No comments:
Post a Comment