Friday, November 29, 2013

6 Months

Here we are, already half way through Drew’s first year.  My baby is six months old (6 months and one week to be exact).  I’d say I can’t imagine our lives without baby Drew, but it’s not true.  It really wasn’t that long ago that we didn’t have our sweet little boy.  So I can imagine life without Drew, it’s just not nearly as happy and joyful as it is with him.  

Wednesday was his six month checkup and his stats…

Height: 27.5 inches (75th percentile)
Weight: 18 lbs, 7.5 oz (60th percentile)
Head: 17.72 inches (75th percentile)

Drew remains consistent with his morning nap. He goes down about 9am (waking up around 7:30am) and usually sleeps 2-3 hours. The afternoon nap continues to be less predictable.   

Still sleeps swaddled and his crib remains in our room


Drew has been really gassy this month.  I’m pretty sure our Halloween candy has been the culprit.  Those first few days after Halloween he was super stinky.  He was uncharacteristically fussy too so after a few days of overindulgence, I've tried to eat in moderation, but it hasn't been easy. 

Drew is no longer our cryless boy.  He still doesn't cry often especially during the day, but this past month has been different during the night.  I used to have no concern about taking him places overnight cause he slept long spans and if he did wake up he'd just make a little noise, barely audible, then lay silently while I changed his diaper (smiling of course cause he loves getting his diaper changed) and then go right back to sleep after eating.  I remember at my family reunion in a house with 30 other people, nobody heard a thing out of him all night.   Drew hasn't been as predictable at night lately.   Sometimes he'll sleep all night, other nights I'll have to get up with him more than once.   He still smiles every time we change his diaper, but during the night he gets impatient when I take too long fastening his clothing and he'll start fussing at me.   He doesn't like the 0.5 seconds it takes me to get situated to feed him either.   And there was even a night or two this past month where he didn't go right back to sleep, that hasn't happened since he was a newbie. I know for some Moms that record sounds heavenly, but this mama misses her peaceful nights and can't wait for Drew to get back to sleeping like an angel.  

It’s not very often that I cuddle him while he sleeps – one of the best perks of having a baby without a doubt

Carly continues to be my biggest helper with Drew.   She loves to hold him, can’t wait to be able to feed him, and even offers to take him when he's fussy so I can get things done.   Ever since he was born she's wanted to carry him in the Bjorn, she kept reminding me that I let Abigail do it with Katie. 


Katie was much smaller at the time than our boy Drew is now. 


Still does great in the car.   We'll often think he's fallen asleep back there, but here's just sitting silent enjoying the ride. So glad we've never had a kid who's disliked being in the car. 

A few weeks ago Justin gave Drew his first tastes of rice cereal.   He seemed to enjoy the first couple bites, but the experience soon turned to tears. 


Last week we tried carrots and that was even less successful than the rice cereal.   We've never had a baby that didn't love to eat so we’re not sure what to do there.

The girls babysat him on Saturday while Justin and I when to the new Hunger Games movie with friends.   I was nervous leaving him knowing he wouldn't take a bottle and we hadn't been successful with any foods.  Just leave it to Carly.  She got him to eat half a container of sweet potatoes while we were gone.

The girls have never watched Drew at bedtime or for so long.  They did great.  When we got out of the movie I immediately called to see how they were doing, I knew the likelihood of Drew going to bed for them was slim.  I asked if we should rush home or stop at Krispy Kreme for our traditional after date reward (half price after 9pm).  They were coping well enough that they wanted their donuts. 

Drew has become a hip baby.  It's nice that he's strong enough to be held on my hip, but a sad sign that he's growing up. 


Spends lots of time with his hands and fingers in his mouth.  The other night he got a hold of Abigail' s finger and was just munching and sucking away on it.   I don't think I've ever seen Abigail giggle so much.   We were laughing so hard that I was nearly in tears.


Blows bubbles/spits often – still think it’s totally adorable

Drew had his first rolling over experience back on October 18th.  He didn't roll over again until November 11th.  He's still not fond of it though and can't get himself back over to his back.  

I dug out our Bumbo chair a few months ago and used it to get a few cute pictures of Drew. We've tried to use it a few times since but his chubby little legs don't fit in it very well. 

Drew recently discovered his toes.   He hasn't gotten them to his mouth yet, but it's fun to see him grabbing at them. 


I wonder how long Drew would sit in his little bathtub before wanting to get out.  He enjoys baths so much it seems he could play in there for hours. 

Like all my children, Drew is entranced with television from a young age.   If I need to keep him content for a while I can put in baby Mozart and he'll enter the zone.   It's not just baby shows though.   Justin claims that Drew loves watching sports with him. 


Drew is a smiley baby and recognizes when his Daddy gets home.   Justin gets lots of love when he walks in the door.

Seems to still be fine with other people holding him.   If you remember, my friend held him so I could enjoy our ward primary program.   He also has a cute relationship with a counselor in our bishopric who has also been our home teacher until just recently.   It seems every Sunday Brother Willis will come across Drew and I in the halls.  Drew always gets excited when Bro. Willis talks to him and he usually wants to take Drew for a few minutes to get some baby lovin’.  


We sure love our little guy!  Monday at parent teacher conferences Carly’s teacher gave me the most adorable story about Drew that Carly had written.  She starts her essay with, “If you had a five month old brother, would he be special to you? I bet you he would.”  A few of my favorite lines are, “He’s so adorable and even just holding him cheers me up.” “He is always there to greet me with his cute and chubby smile.” And the last line, “Don’t you think brothers that aren’t big and annoying are special?”

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

That is one adorable baby! He looks a lot like is mommy with his big eyes and little mouth. Glad you guys are doing good!

Post a Comment