The Halloween festivities started the week before with our
ward Halloween party on Friday, October 24th. Justin was out of town that week
and I had a full day with just minutes between appointments to get the kids
ready and out the door. No time
for pictures. We did the best we
could to pull some costumes together – some were definitely better than
others. Abigail opted out and just
put on a Halloween t-shirt. Carly
and Jason both recycled last years Dorothy and pirate costumes. Katie wore an old ‘Butterfly Princess’
costume sans wings so nobody knew what she was. But Drew. Drew
was absolutely adorable in our old Mickey Mouse costume. Seriously so cute! He toddled around the church all
evening wearing his costume and getting tons of attention.
The next Halloween activity was at Justin’s work on
Wednesday, October 29th. The event
was from 3-5pm so only Katie and Drew were able to go.
Katie was ready over a hour before we were leaving and looked
so beautiful as Cinderella.
My attempt to get a picture of the two of them before we
left wasn’t as successful since Drew had gone straight from crib to
costume.
This is the first year T-Mobile has put on a family
Halloween event and it was so fun.
Each floor had different activities and decorations. The kids were able to walk around and
‘trick-or-treat’ at many cubicles throughout the building.
The kids got plenty of candy to tide them over until
Halloween. The next day while I
was on the phone with my brother, unbeknownst to me Katie gave Drew two suckers
to enjoy. Such a sticky mess!
Katie was able to dress up for preschool on Thursday,
October 30th. She chose to be a
pirate. Yep, same pirate that
Jason was just a few days earlier.
It was great that Halloween fell on a Friday this year. The kids get home earlier from school
on Fridays and it was nice not having the kids out late on a school night.
After our ward party we realized we didn’t have many costume
options for Abigail and Jason so I took them to a party store and let them pick
something out. The majority of
costumes for young girls were immodest and inappropriate; seriously, Halloween
seems to be an excuse for girls dress skanky. We narrowed Abigail’s options down to either a hippie or a
penguin. Now most nearly-13-year
olds would opt for the girly hippie.
I love that Abigail decided to go against what would be most socially normal
and felt completely comfortable to dress as fun and silly as she wanted. She was an awesome, confident,
fun-loving penguin.
Carly was happy to once again dress up as Dorothy from the
Wizard of Oz. Love that she didn’t
even ask for red shoes, again!
I was surprised that there weren’t many options for boys
costumes at the store (unless you are into superheros or ninjas). The best we found was a Mario costume
that was about 4 inches too short in the legs. Jason really liked it though and I figure since Drew
can wear it in the future it would work just fine.
Katie had already attended three Halloween parties; in three
different costumes so we didn’t know what she’d end up choosing for the main
event. I was glad we once again
had a little Cinderella on Halloween.
Though everyone thought she was Elsa from Frozen. At first she’d correct them and explain
she was Cinderella, but after a dozen or so times she was over it.
And my little Mickey Mouse!
Seriously, this kid melts my heart and I so wish he could fit in this
little costume forever! Getting
him to stand still long enough to get the perfect picture proved to be quite
difficult so I have about a dozen instead.
This is Abigail obeying my request to hurry and get out of
the picture
When I was taking Abigail’s pictures she started jumping
around and it was so cute to see Drew trying to copy her.
Then Justin started playing peek-a-boo with him.
I love the stage he is in – so cute!
Okay kids just one last picture with me and my
trick-or-treaters!
The girls each went off on their own with friends and a goal
to hit every house in our neighborhood.
Justin and I headed out with the three youngest. After about 10 houses Justin went back
to the house with Drew to pass out candy and Katie, Jason, and I walked around
the neighborhood with a family that lives on our street.
The family we walked around with has five young kids (not
Mormon) and after about an hour they decided to call it a night. I asked Jason if he wanted to head back
toward home with them and to my surprise he said yes. When we got home they changed into pajamas, ate candy, and
passed out treats to the few people that ventured over to our street.
I got right to work compiling our 2014 Halloween stats. As I kid I always sorted and counted my
candy and I still love it.
By the time Carly and Abigail got home I was ready to help
them sort through their bounty.
I look at these pictures and yes, I realize it’s ridiculous
how much candy they collected.
I’ll admit I even drove down the street during the evening so they could
unload candy into the car to make room for more. I’m an enabler.
And I’m 100% ok with that.
Halloween 2014:
1374 goodies, 38.4 pounds*
* Does not include candy collected at the T-Mobile party,
Drew’s insubstantial collections from Halloween night, or the leftover candy
we’d purchased to hand out



























2 comments:
I can't even. Drew is the cutest Mickey Mouse ever! His chubby face kills me. Sounds like you guys had a fun Halloween!
Awesome! I love that Abigail picked the penguin.
Post a Comment