Monday, July 6, 2015

Carly’s 5th Grade Wrap-Up

It’s hard to believe that Carly has completed her final year of elementary school and will be joining Abigail in middle school this fall.  She’s ready and I think the change will actually be really great for her.

Carly had a great year academically.  This was her second year in the highly capable program and her second imagination celebration (our family’s fourth consecutive year – grumble, grumble).  This year she did a bowling activity with math problems.  Apparently it turnout out to be a bit more work that she anticipated with setting the pins up over and over again, but she and a friend managed well enough.

There was quite a bit of drama amongst some of her friends this year.  Thankfully Carly wasn’t directly involved, but it was an uncomfortable position to be in so she spent many recesses helping out some of her prior year teachers to avoid getting involved.  Moving into middle school will bring together a large group of girls from our ward so I’m excited to see those friendships develop.  

Just a couple projects from the year…

A turtle Carly made using fractions


Carly played soccer in the fall and basketball in the winter.  I never did post about basketball – probably because I spent my Saturdays training for my half marathon.  The games I did attend, I didn’t take my camera.  So the only picture we have of her season was on Justin’s phone.


Carly explored a few new activities this spring – clogging and lacrosse.  Lacrosse was super fun, though we were disappointed that more than half the games ended up being on Sundays.  She really enjoyed playing and hopes to be able to play again next year.


Carly was so busy in the spring that she’d have to make list of all the things she needed to remember each morning.  I love to see my kids taking responsibility for their own stuff and I’m all about making lists :)


I love, love, LOVE our elementary school.  The atmosphere is a perfect fit for my family.  I also love the activities unique to our school that the kids get to participate in.  In addition to fifth grade camp (which Carly went to in the fall) they also went on an overnight field trip to Mt. St Helens in May.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go with either of the girls.  Carly had a great time and learned a lot.  Here are a few pictures she took:


Every year the 5th graders in our district are assigned as a Prom Pal to a senior at the high school.  The 5th graders write a letter to their Prom Pal encouraging them to stay safe at prom.  Carly had a lot of fun and made a 3D multi-faceted card for her senior.  Carly found out a few weeks before school ended that she was chosen as the winner from our school and awarded a limo ride to lunch at McDonalds.  I received this photo of Carly riding in style.


The last full week of school is Spirit Week with a different theme each day.  This year we pretty much nailed Crazy Hair Day.


The school had a fun photo booth set up during field day.  


Carly grew two 2 inches this year has just ventured into the 5 foot range.

Here’s Carly’s answers to my end of the school year questions:

Favorite subject?  Math

What is something you did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
Visiting Mt. St Helens

What are the three most important things you learned this year?  I don’t know

What was the most challenging part of this year for you?  “I didn’t feel like there was much challenging”

What do I want to learn next year?  How to play the clarinet

What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?  Earning the most paws in the class (earned by good behavior, worksheets, working on Dreambox)

What was the best part of the school day? Why?  Recess

Favorite thing to do during recess?  Help Mrs. McLellan and Mrs. Colman

Who were your closest friends?  Chloe and Kate

If you could only wear one outfit to school for a week, what would you wear?  Athletic wear but my Mom won’t let me

What do you look forward to this summer?  Camping, reunion, and hanging out with friends

Favorite color?  Blue (teal/turquoise-ish and “pink-ish-purple”)

Favorite TV show?  Liv and Maddy & KC Undercover

Favorite food?  Kung pao spaghetti, chicken biscuits and tortilla soup

Favorite dessert?  I don’t have one

Favorite candy?  Twix, mambas, skittles

No comments:

Post a Comment