Friday, January 8, 2016

Kauai Vacation - Day 1 (Saturday, November 28)

Justin and Jason started the day with a 1-1.5 mile run down to Kiahuna Beach and back.


We don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods at home so the kids loved all the snacks and food we bought at Costco. I was surprised how yummy the frozen Belgium waffles were once topped with fresh strawberries and whipping cream.

We loaded up the van with beach equipment provided by the condo and decided to visit Poipu Beach. While we were scoping out a place on the beach to settle in we found two Hawaiian monk seals basking in the sun.


Drew’s initial reaction to stepping in the sand wasn’t of fondness – lucky for him Abigail was happy to scoop him up until he got used to it - which fortunately, didn't take long.


Most of the beach was pretty rocky with a strong undertow so we walked over to the east end where there was a nice safe cove to play in. A perfect introductory beach for our first day.


When the girls got bored with the shallow water they built sandcastles (sounds so fairytale-ish) and Carly led the efforts to dig a monstrous hole to bury Justin in.  The kids all worked together to get the hole ready.


Drew carried many buckets of water back and forth.


There was a little water fight action going on throughout the day.


Once Justin was buried it was my idea to turn him into a mermaid. He was such a good sport!


Jason wanted to be buried as well – just a head…


We stayed several hours and then headed back to the condo for a late lunch. First a quick stop at Koloa Shaved Ice for a refreshing treat!


I got a kick out of seeing Jason and Katie lounging on our lanai eating their sandwiches.  Such spoiled kids.


The kids spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the pool and Justin and I swapped turns hanging out in the condo while Drew napped (he hadn't napped since Wednesday because of Thanksgiving and traveling).

I thought the giant candy corns growing on this tree by the pool were pretty interesting. Each kernel was at least 7” long.


While I cooked the kids some pasta for dinner, Justin enjoyed an evening run offering some pretty stunning views.   


Justin and I headed back to Lihue for a pre-birthday dinner at Duke's, which came recommended by a friend. It really was yummy, though I wish we had made it there before sunset because I'm sure the views would have been amazing. I was most excited about dessert - Hula Pie! Macadamia nut ice cream piled high on a chocolate cookie crust and topped with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and more macadamia nuts!


So grateful to two wonderful daughters who were happy to allow us to go out for a nice dinner and knowing that they are so responsible and capable to take care of everyone back at the condo. I love vacationing with my family but it's nice to have the option of having some time as a couple as well.

Our first full day in Kauai was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment