Justin completed his second Super Spartan (8+
miles, 24+ obstacles) on April 23 (the first was October 2015). Here’s his short recap of the
experience…
I signed up for the race a couple
months back and have been pretty consistent with the running regimen
including a recent 8 mile run and the 8 mile hike up Si
but did not feel as confident in my strength conditioning.
We trained at Mark's House of Pain a few Saturdays prior and
started incorporating more push-ups, squats, planks, and some burpees into
our routine but winter and spring weather is not nearly as nice
as the summer and early fall weather of last year.
Fewer of us signed up for this
race. The course was in the same location but was tougher this
time. A lot more mud, more hills, and some tough upper
body obstacles in consecutive fashion. I nailed the spear throw
and only failed the rope climb because I got too confident half way up and
lost my grip. I was happy to only have 30 of my own burpees to do.
I was nervous to see the tryolean traverse on the course. Figuring out
a good technique made all the difference in traversing the
rope. I completed most of the course with Mike, Matt and Ryan and
felt good about my performance.
I hope to do the Spartan Tri-fecta
in 2016 which means I have the 3-5 mile Sprint and the 13+ mile Beast left to
do.
On this past Sunday Justin was eating something
unhealthy (let’s say chips)… Jason says to Justin, “Dad, you’re a Spartan so
you shouldn’t eat chips!” to which Justin replied, “I can eat chips because I'm a Spartan!”
We’re proud of Justin’s hard work at keeping
himself healthy and strong!







No comments:
Post a Comment