Thursday, September 28, 2017

Young Women’s Camp {July 24-29}

With two girls attending camp I knew it wouldn’t be long before I’d be asked to serve at camp as some sort of adult leader.  I didn’t have the best experiences at camp as a teenager so it wasn’t something I was necessarily excited to experience.  Apparently my feelings aren’t shared by most women in our stake because the women line up to go up to camp for the week and are heartbroken when they aren’t asked to go up for the third-fourth-fifth time in a row.  I was totally fine sitting back and letting them have all the “fun”.  I’ve been involved in camp the last few years from behind the scenes – which is totally my mo-jo.  This would be my third year serving as the stake camp finance specialist.  Basically I invoice the ten wards in our stake, pestering them if necessary to transfer funds to the stake in a timely manner and then compile all the reimbursement requests and all other camp related expenses into QuickBooks and provide reports to the stake leaders.  It’s as close to my dream calling of finance clerk that I’ll get :)  Anyhow, so the finance part has been my contribution – and it is quite a time commitment.  But apparently that wasn’t enough because I was asked to go up to camp as a Unit Counselor this year.  Unit Counselor would be the last position at camp I would choose because you are responsible for making sure your group of 10-12 girls is having an amazing life-changing experience at camp.  Dealing with other people’s kids and teenage girl drama and emotions are not within my skill set so I wasn’t quite sure how it would all go down.

The buildup to camp alone is quite stressful.  Each of the 12 units picks a theme within the overall camp theme for the year “Joy in the Journey.”  My unit – consisting of myself, my adult partner and three YCL’s (5th year girls who help lead the units) – chose “Jungle Safari” as our unit theme.  So over the course of the summer we have to work together (teenage girls with big ideas and not the best follow-through) to plan how to transform our campground into a Jungle within our allotted budget.  Which apparently NOBODY stays within budget because souping up your unit is a HUGE part of the excitement of camp.  Crazy? Yes.  But I’ve driven girls up to the first day of camp the last few years and it really does add to the excitement and fun of the entire week.  So justified or not it is what it is and the girls (and women) LOVE it.  Anyhow, let’s just say I had my family cutting jungle leaves out of butcher paper for hours as we prepared for camp and Carly was a huge help twisting “vines.”

So our stake mixes up all ten wards, which I love.  It gives the girls a great opportunity to branch out and meet new people.  They always get at least one requested friend in their unit.  The twelve units consist of approx ten 1st, 2nd, and 3rd campers.  I also like the idea of having first years with some of the other girls – the dynamic is fun and the older girls tend to be looked up to.  All the 4th year campers participate in a two day hike at the beginning of the week and then get to camp all together when they arrive at the main camp on Wednesday.  The 5th years are the YCL’s that help lead each unit and the 6th and 7th years run everything else.  It’s a pretty incredible system and extremely well organized.  The young women LOVE camp.  So many girls bring friends with them and there are so many that continue coming up until they max out all seven years.  (I only made it to year four and then was OUT).

Anyhow, so all the adult leaders and YCL’s head up to camp on Monday and get everything set up for the campers to arrive on Tuesday morning.

I dropped Abigail off at the church to head off on her 2 night backpacking trip.  All smiles!


Here are a few pictures of Abigail’s adventures with the all the 4th years. 
   

We were ready back at camp to meet the 10 girls assigned to our unit for the week.


We even played a little Guns N’ Roses “Welcome to the Jungle” tunes as the campers arrived.


We had some time to get to know the girls.  We had a couple challenging girls – one who introduced herself as “boy crazy” and spent the first couple days disappearing to find fun.  Another that refused to participate in pretty much anything and spent the nights with her mom.  Oh, the fun of teenage drama.  Overall though it was a fun group.  The girls meshed really well together and it was neat to get to know them.


My friend Laura, who brings her daughter up from Texas just for our camp, hand delivered some goodies for me as she dropped off campers.  So sweet!


Carly’s unit ended up being right next to mine.  She wasn’t necessarily thrilled with the unit theme (Star Wars – just like last year) or her YCL’s – really odd girls, but she had two close friends with her and they made the best of it.


Abigail marched into camp on Wednesday afternoon chanting, “We are the fourth years the mighty, mighty fourth years. Everywhere we go, people wanna know, who we are, so we tell them we are the fourth years the mighty, mighty fourth years…” – the tradition is to welcome the them to camp by squirting them with water.  My unit was ready.


Abigail’s in the second row back with the yellow bandana.


They continue marching through camp and down into the river.  Once out of the freezing river Abigail was happy to give a big ole wet, cold hug to her little sister.  So fun to see everyone so excited and happy.


One of evenings the stake hosted a big dance out in a big, secluded field.  They gave out glow sticks, had a yummy pudding bar and everyone had a great time.


The only picture I got with my girls all week 
   

There are so many activities throughout the week – crafts, rock climbing, archery, rifles, service, dancing, spiritual workshops, giant slip-n-slide, chants, skits, etc...


Ropes course was a fun albeit challenging activity for my unit.  We had to get everyone (including myself) over this log.


My favorite part of each day was free time because I had two hours to do whatever I wanted.  Most days that meant chilling at the river with friends who were also at camp for the week.  I floated down the river on one of the first days with Carly.  It was so, so cold.  I don’t think I let go of Carly’s arm the entire way down.  That was the first and last time I submerged myself in the river.  Carly was one of the few campers to do the polar dip early every morning – crazy girl! 


My favorite dance performed during the week was the fourth years.  The energy these girls brought to the stage was overwhelming.  The happiness and confidence that they showed was emotional for me especially knowing some of these girls personally and the challenges they face.  I gotta share.


I can watch this over and over – love it so much!


Abigail got the sheet music for this song after we got home and it’s a tune you’ll often hear Drew singing along to.

Camp really was a lot of fun and I loved being a part of the experience.  It’s fun to know now first hand what everyone is talking about and I really can see why so many women want to be there.  It is a special, spiritual place.

It takes a lot of amazing women (and men) to make camp one of the best weeks of year for the 200+ girls that attend.


Who knows maybe I’ll be back at it again next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment