Sunday, October 1, 2017

Cub Scout Day Camp {August 1-4}

Let’s just get this out there.  We are the worst Cub Scout parents ever.  No, I take that back – we take Jason to Cub Scouts, but that’s where our involvement ends.  Sadly, if they don’t pass it off at scouts it doesn’t get passed off.  Honestly, I feel like I have so much to manage and take care of with our big family that scouts isn’t something I’ve been willing to tackle.  I passed it off to Justin and well… enough said. 

With Jason’s most recent birthday he advanced to Webelos – though I used the word “advanced” loosely because he never did earn his Bear or his Wolf badges, but according to age – Jason is a Webelo.  He turned eight right after cub camp concluded so he wasn’t able to attend in 2015, he went in 2016 and again this year; however, he’ll turn eleven right before cub camp next summer so this would be his last year attending.

Cub camp requires a ton of adult volunteers.  Last year they made the parents in our ward volunteer two full days of camp.  Thankfully, I was able to get Carly to go in my place.  She passed off all the online training and attending the in-person evening training at roundtable.  I think she actually didn’t mind it too much – she counted it as a personal progress project and I think I paid her $10 for the other day.  Totally sweet deal for me!

The plan was to send Carly again this year, but they changed it up and required the volunteers to be over the age of eighteen.  Major bummer!  Thankfully, I was able to get away with only volunteering one of the four days.  Grandma & Grandpa Fletcher live RIGHT next door to the park where the camp has been held the last couple years so like last year he was able to spend one of the nights at their house.  He thought it was pretty special to go out to dinner with them and watch a movie.

I was one of two adult Webelo walkers, which meant I spent the day making sure my group of scouts rotated through the various stations on time and in an orderly manner.  It wasn’t actually that miserable of a day; however, I could have done without the 85+ degree temps (PNWers are such wusses in the heat – me especially).

It was fun to see Jason participate is all the fun activities they planned for the boys.


The theme for the week was Cubs at Sea and over the course of the week the boys built and painted these treasure boxes.  Quite impressive actually.


By the time Drew enters Cub Scouts the girls will be old enough to volunteer in my place for sure – they’ll totally want to do that as young adults, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment