Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Hawaii {Day 7} – Surfing

Our friends that were here a few weeks ago highly recommended taking surfing lessons saying it was some of the best money they’ve spent in a very long time. So we booked a two hour session for all seven of us starting at 9am this morning. 



I was definitely the most nervous primarily because I am not very confident with my swimming skills. Our instructor got us equipped with water shoes and rash guards and after a brief five minute lesson on the shore demonstrating how to stand up on the boards we were in the ocean attempting to catch some waves. We had two instructors for our family and basically their job was to try to push us into as many waves as possible. Our goal was to start paddling with our arms as soon as they told us to and then as soon as we felt the push of the wave behind us we were to stand up and ride that wave to the end. Drew was able to catch a few great waves but he definitely tired out the quickest. 



Actually Justin may have tired out just as quick – ha! It seemed anytime I looked over at Justin he was lying flat on his board exhausted. 



I was determined to catch as many waves as I could so as soon as I was done with one wave I was paddling out to the yellow buoy to wait for another turn with the instructors. I never would’ve thought that out of our house full of athletes that I would’ve been the one to catch the most waves. I had a blast!  Everyone had a great time though none of us actually know how to catch any waves without our instructors assistance. There was a photographer in the water who takes pictures of everyone taking lessons and then he posts them online with the hopes that people will buy them. I was so excited to see what kind of pictures he caught of our family and as soon as I saw this one I knew I had to have it. 



The digital pictures were actually quite reasonable - $80 for all of the pictures that he took that morning. 




























Abigail was the only one in the family that also spotted a turtle surfing with us


We were pretty hungry afterward so we stopped to get some food. Justin ended up getting something at Da Poke Shack and after realizing another Chinese food wouldn’t be very allergy friendly the kids ended up getting food at Panda Express and then we enjoyed some shaved ice.  


We hit up the pool back at the hotel and then Justin and I went out to Macaroni Grill to take advantage of their Valentines special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment