Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day Two - New Floors

Today was Day 2 of our two week floor replacement process. Yesterday and today were demo days. The carpet was removed in the family room and dining room, the wood floor was taken out in the entry and the kitchen, and the linoleum was ripped out of the laundry and powder room. I am so glad to see the cheap, dirty, matted down builder’s carpet gone. Only the carpet in the living room and office are staying. In preparation we had to take out all our kitchen appliances (the fridge couldn’t fit out the front door so it is in our living room along with every other piece of furniture we could possible cram into that one space).

I can already tell I am going to love having the same flooring throughout the kitchen and family room. Since they are basically the same room it just makes sense. Besides that when our house was built they installed our sliding glass door too far into the family room so the flooring had to be cut on an awkward angle. It’s always bugged us. Of course they got it right on all the other homes they built after ours.


Today they also installed most of the new tile in the laundry and bathroom. Me and the kids spent the day at Justin’s Mom’s house. There won’t be much going on tomorrow, just finishing up the tile work. On Thursday the wood will be acclimated and ready to be installed. Justin got after me that I didn’t take any Day 1 pictures… but I didn’t let him down today.

Justin’s Mom sent us home with stew for dinner since we don’t have a stove or oven. We don’t have any place to sit downstairs so the girls decided they would eat on the fireplace surround.

I can already totally see the benefits of doing this sort of thing before you move in or at least while you’re out of town. Everything downstairs is covered in dust, even everything we piled in the living room. Keeping a toddler safe when the majority of your living space is under construction adds an additional challenge. When I needed my ice cream fix tonight (all the freezer food is in the garage) - I couldn’t walk on the freshly laid tile floors to get out to the garage so I had to walk out the front door (in my pajamas), bowl and ice-cream scoop in hand, open the garage door from the outdoor padlock, scoop myself some ice-cream then walk back through the front door. Not the most convenient situation, but it will all be worth it… only 10 days left!

4 comments:

Justin said...

Holly finally made some decisions on the flooring and baseboards. Let's hope she is totally happy when it all gets done.

Holly said...

Hold on Justin... I see where you're heading with this. "Holly finally made some decisions... Let's hope she's totally happy..." I'm not prepared to take complete and total responsibility for this (unless it's all perfect of course). WE made some decisions and WE WILL be happy when it all gets done.

Actually, now that I think about it, Jen picked out the tile and Tara gave me the thumbs up on the hardwood so we do have a few people we can our point fingers at if we're not completely satisfied. :)

Justin said...

WE will be happy because we can't take this purchase back to the store.

Brenda said...

I'm excited to see the results. Good luck in the meantime.

Post a Comment