When we were in NYC in December, we had dinner with my favorite roommate from BYU. We’d hadn’t spoken in years so we had a lot to catch up on. She told me I needed to get a Facebook account so I could keep up with her busy life. I’ll admit to being somewhat reluctant. The idea of having 100’s of “friends” isn’t quite comfortable. And I worried about being mean by declining a request for my “friendship”. Do people really want to be your friend, or are they just trying to up their friend number? And what if you change your mind, can you really de-friend someone? I’m all for reconnecting with people I grew up with or knew in college – I love that. But if I’ve never had a friendly conversation with you than I probably don’t want you reading about my life. That’s why we ask people not to create links to our blog. You can’t find us unless we tell you where we are. Our blog is “private” without the hassle of being private. So if anyone reading this is a lurker (i.e. you’ve never left a comment or told us you read our blog… now is the time to fess up).
So I created a Facebook account and in my first day I was reacquainted with some of my closest childhood friends. Amazing. I haven’t used it much (I only have 10 friends, mainly family), but Facebook is definitely a great way to find people. I do have a question though: when writing to your “friend” do you use the wall-to-wall which everyone can see or send a message through their inbox?? I’m thinking I’m more of an off-the-wall kind of person, any thoughts on proper protocol?
Anyhow, my purpose for this post… Today I was looking through pictures so I could update my Facebook profile with a picture I’m actually in (I previously had this one). I quickly realized that Justin needs to take more pictures (I’m always behind the camera – which I typically prefer) and that we need a new family picture.
So I created a Facebook account and in my first day I was reacquainted with some of my closest childhood friends. Amazing. I haven’t used it much (I only have 10 friends, mainly family), but Facebook is definitely a great way to find people. I do have a question though: when writing to your “friend” do you use the wall-to-wall which everyone can see or send a message through their inbox?? I’m thinking I’m more of an off-the-wall kind of person, any thoughts on proper protocol?
Anyhow, my purpose for this post… Today I was looking through pictures so I could update my Facebook profile with a picture I’m actually in (I previously had this one). I quickly realized that Justin needs to take more pictures (I’m always behind the camera – which I typically prefer) and that we need a new family picture.
This was taken in November of 2007 (Jason was only four months old). I can’t get over how tiny Jason looks. Justin’s hand could totally palm the kids head. Abigail’s lost so many teeth this past year that she looks completely different now and Carly had her hair chopped off. My little family is growing up too fast.
4 comments:
Hooray, I want to be your facebook friend! I totally agree with everything you say, I am a message girl, I rarely write things on people's walls. I guess I mostly just use it as email :). I have got friend requests from people from high school who I don't remember ever talking to and other people who are not my actual friends (my sister's sister-in-law who I may have said hi to once??) and I just ignore them...I feel mean when I do it, but really, what would be the point???
I completely understand. I finally succumbed to the pressure and joined FB two weeks ago. It is SUCH a time waster! I've reconnected with people I haven't seen in nearly 20 years! Did I need to? No, but it's fun- for now. I do basic notes on the wall to wall, but if I really want to TALK to someone, or I think the information may feel personal to them, I do the messages - most people check it more often than their regular email, it seems. I don't join all the groups I'm invited to- that part gets a little out of hand. I don't get a lot of friend requests from people I don't know or remember knowing at some point. I'll see you on there! Have fun!
I think fb is a bizaare phenomenon. I'm with you totally. I love being connected with friends and family. But if it's an acquaintance, it's iffy. Just ignore people. I had some guy from high school that was totally awful to me add me as a friend. What was he thinking? I was really tempted to send a nasty note but ignoring his request is justice enough for me. The problem is...more and more people are using fb as a means of communication. No one calls you anymore, they send you a message on fb. And it's becoming more and more a way of communication with the youth. Crazy if you ask me...and here I am wrapped up in it. And I have made a few fb blunders so now I mostly use the inbox.
I'm so glad you added me as a friend. ;)
Post a Comment