Back in January I came to a crossroads. I was an entire year behind. Nothing from 2009 was in an album. I’ve been tempted to go “digital” for a few years now and decided it was time to make the switch. So for the past few months I’ve been working on putting together our 2009 family album. Even though I’ve spent many, many hours creating the pages in Photoshop I still feel like the process was much quicker being completely digital (and much less messy too). This afternoon my finished book was delivered (FYI - I ordered through Blurb.com).
I was so nervous to see the final results. I was concerned that the colors and patterns that I created on the computer wouldn’t look the same in print and that the pictures would look grainy. Overall I am very happy. I do think you lose some quality in your pictures this way, but it wasn’t enough that I think most people would notice. I LOVE that I’m able to have HUGE pictures in the book without dealing with the added cost of printing enlargements the traditional way. And the major reason for me to go digital is that 156 pages takes up only ½ inch on my bookshelf verses the three or more inches of a traditional album(s). Another great positive is that now when I put together a book for each of the kids, most of the pages are already done – everything is saved forever and can be reprinted anytime – no more needing to physically create the same page two-four times. My one complaint, and it is a big complaint for a perfectionist like me, is that you don’t have control over what gets cropped during printing. I was very careful not to put any journaling, etc... on the outer edges of a page so it wouldn’t be cropped off, but their instructions didn’t say anything about losing any content on the inside edge. As a result, MANY elements appear off center in the middle of the pages and on several pages I’ve even lost some journaling in the binding. For example:
2 comments:
You can print your blog into a book like that too (not with the cute backgrounds, but the words and pictures come over). There are a couple of different sites that do it.
So....any baby yet?
I'll have to take a look at your scrapbook. Did you do 12x12? I've done several books through blurb and each time I learn more tips about what to do better next time, and I like each book more and more.
Good luck with that baby. I'm so excited for you!
Post a Comment