Sunday, April 18, 2010

Katie’s Arrival

We didn’t think we’d see the kids on Wednesday morning before heading to the hospital, but the girls were so excited for the big day that they couldn’t sleep in.

Me and my girls as we’re leaving for the hospital


7:10am - checked into the hospital

7:30am - two failed IV attempts... not fun

7:40am - Dr. checked me and I was already dilated 4cm. He broke my water and told me I could have my epidural as soon as I was ready.

7:41am - Told nurse I was ready for epidural (I was not going to take any chances not getting it in time or suffering any longer than necessary)

7:55am - third times the charm, different nurse finally gets an IV started, they start filling me up with fluid, penicillin (for strep B), and start pitocin

All morning - express desire for epidural, nurse insists she needs to get entire bag of fluid in me before I can have it

9:20am - anesthesiologist finally called, but she asks me if she can do someone else first. I tell her I want to say no, but feel bad making some other poor woman wait. We tell her about my history of quick progress once I'm dilated to 6cm. Thankfully, she decides to give me my epidural first which wasn't nearly as painful as the three IV attempts.

9:55am – measuring at 5-6cm according to nurse

10:07am – Dr. measured me at 6cm

10:30-10:45am - still feel somewhat uncomfortable during contractions, feeling like I want to push, asking for more drugs. Nurse gets me in stirrups and tells me she wants me to push a little through next contraction to see if I'm ready for her to call the doctor. I push for 0.01 second and she tells me to STOP. Thankfully doctor already on his way.

10:49am - Dr. arrives

10:50am - one contraction, two pushes and wala she was here!

As the doctor is delivering Katie I heard him say "she's a two _____ed baby." I asked him to repeat himself two times as my mind tried to figure out what my baby had two of. Thankfully, he had just said that because of her size he had to use two hands to hold her - so she was a "two-handed baby". Our nurse had thought he'd said two-headed.

That moment of meeting her was incredible. I wish I could find the words to adequately describe how I felt or there was some way to bottle those feelings up so I could relive it again and again. It was incredible. As Justin later described it, seeing Katie enter into this world was experiencing a bit of heaven.


We thought it was funny when the nurse commented that I was made for pregnancy. Difficultly getting pregnant, months of nausea and vomiting, extreme weight gain, back problems, painful recoveries, challenges with nursing, and many, many months (years) it takes to even get close to pre-pregnancy weight. I never thought it possible that I could make any aspect of pregnancy look easy.

Katie came out screaming and we thought we were really in for it, especially when she was awake from 2-6am our first night in the hospital. Thankfully, she’s done awesome since then. Of course it’s only been a few nights, but we’re hopeful she’ll keep it up.

Hearing she was over 9 lbs was just what this Momma wanted to hear. Having had feeding issues with all of my kids a little extra chub is a good thing.


Katie loved getting her first bath. The nurse said most of the hair on the top of her head fell out when she was washing it. She still has quite a bit of dark hair on the back of her head, but I’m sure she’ll lose that soon enough.


Justin was exhausted after our exciting morning.


The kids came by that evening to meet their new sister. They were all so excited to hold her.


We’ve been talking to Jason about the baby coming out of Mommy’s tummy, but I’m sure he didn’t understand. He’s been great so far though and wants to hold her anytime someone else is holding her. He’s also been very interested in helping me burp her.


Because I test positive to the Strep B virus I’ve always needed to get penicillin during labor to protect the baby. Because this labor went so quickly I wasn’t able to get the desired amount before she was born. As a precaution our doctor wanted us to stay in the hospital until she was 48 hours old so they could keep an eye on her. We’ve never stayed in the hospital more than one night, but it actually ended up being nice to have a little extra time with her before heading home.



We sure are enjoying our sweet little girl and feel so blessed to have her in our family.

3 comments:

Tara said...

She's so beautiful! And you look great, too. I can't wait to meet her. I'm going to come snuggle her real soon!

Congrats to you all!

Bri said...

That is so fast! I'm glad things went so well and you look great!! I hope things continue to go well and you're at least getting some sleep...well as much as we can expect! Congratulations again!

Jenn said...

Wow, that really was a speedy delivery! A big congratulations Holly on Katie's arrival. She's is so precious! And how amazing that you're already blogging about it! Love all the updates.

Post a Comment