I had an awesome Father’s Day. That doesn’t sound quite how it’s supposed to, does it? The potential for a stressful day was there. The previous week was full of stressful situations – old house drama, new house drama, last week of school busyness, etc… We woke up late Sunday morning giving us only 45 minutes to wake the kids up and get out the door for 9am church. I came home from church with a terrible headache and Justin’s requested Father’s Day menu required 4+ hours in the kitchen. But somehow the day was great.
We still made it to church 10 minutes before the meeting began.
Katie was content enough to allow me to sit through most of the lessons at church. In Relief Society the teacher had the following quote written on the board from F. Burton Howard:
“If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently... it becomes special because you made it so”
Her lesson was a reminder of the importance of family togetherness.
At home and in between dinner preparations, I creamed Justin and the girls in a game of Phase 10 Twist.
Proving my love for the father of my kiddos I cooked my first pork tenderloin. While dinner was time-consuming it all turned out great (or so I’m told – I don’t eat pork and I opted for more potatoes instead of salad). Justin was impressed enough with the entire spread that he insisted we take a picture of it before digging in.
We invited Justin’s parents over for dinner. They stayed for several hours afterward and we enjoyed having them here. We are a game playing family. Abigail challenged (and defeated) Grandpa in a game of checkers and the kids played games with their grandparents while Justin and I cleaned up the kitchen.
Justin didn’t take the day off claiming it as his special day – he was always nearby asking what he could do to help out and as usual helped with all the dishes and cleanup. I’m a lucky girl.
Even after only taking an hour nap after church instead of the usual two naps of 2-3 hours each Katie was happy enough that she was able to stay up with the rest of the kiddos until nearly 9pm.
We are grateful that we could spend Father’s day with Justin’s Dad. He’s an awesome Grandpa and has always been so generous – I’m especially grateful for how generous he is with his compliments. During dinner he told Carly that she has gorgeous eyes (she lit up with joy). As Abigail was playing the piano he complimented her on the beautiful young woman she’s becoming. We are blessed to have him so close by.
I thought it would be a fun tradition to take a picture of Justin and the kids each Father’s Day, but I still haven’t got around to it. Instead here’s a picture of the young man I married just a few months after this picture was taken.
We’re blessed to have him.
No comments:
Post a Comment