Thursday, March 8, 2012

Basketball Season

Saturday was Abigail and Carly’s final basketball games – wrapping up their two month long season. Abigail played basketball for the first time in Auburn when she was in second grade. We missed last year because we were in the process of moving so she hadn’t played since. I’ve gotta admit I love the Upwards program that is organized by a local church in Auburn. The major difference between that program and here is that even in fourth grade you can’t take the ball from the opposing team (something Abigail was allowed to do even in second grade). I can understand the idea of teaching kids the fundamentals of the game before allowing it to become more competitive and aggressive, but seriously – fourth grade! At some point these kids need to learn how to actually play basketball. It was hard for Abigail to take that aspect out of the game when that was how she learned how to play (and for us as spectators to watch). Hopefully next year they will be allowed to up her defense a bit.

Abigail is an aggressive player (in this league she is borderline too aggressive) – it seems to just be her nature. She doesn’t give the opposition even an inch to move.

She’s also great on offense, often scoring the majority of the points for her team.

Once again, we opted against purchasing team photos and since I was usually across town at Carly’s games while Justin was at Abigail’s – I missed an opportunity to get a team photo of our own. Abigail’s coaches were fantastic though – so well organized and they did great teaching the girls while still having fun.

This was Carly’s first year playing basketball and she too was one of the strongest on her team. She scored in every game and was a great dribbler and defender.




It’s hard to tell, but there is someone from the opposing team taking the shot

Her coach left much to be desired, but thankfully a Dad of one of the other girls was able to step in and help teach the girls how to play ball. It would have been a very sad season without his help and organization.


Both teams competed well in their games, the girls learned a lot and are excited to play again next year.

1 comment:

Ben and Carrie said...

Wow- Abigail has perfect form and follow through on her shot! Very impressive. And Carly is in perfect form for defending/blocking the shot of the opponent. I'm seriously impressed with both of them. I LOVE basketball. I am now determined that I will start Chloe next year. Thanks for the tip on the great program in Auburn.

Post a Comment