Friday, June 22, 2012

4th Grade Wrap-Up

Friday was the girls last day of school.   This fall Abigail will enter 5th grade and then she’s onto middle school.  How did that happen???  I asked Abigail to answer a few questions about this past school year:

Favorite memory: pioneer camp

Favorite subject:  math

I wish we could have done more:  poetry writing

The thing I’ll miss most: my class

I didn’t like: science and social studies

What are you excited for next year:  Seabeck (5th grade camp)

Here are some pictures throughout the year that I found on our phone and computer.

In November I joined Abigail’s High-C class on a field trip to the Boeing Museum of Flight.  In the basement of the museum there are special hands-on educational stations not available for the general public. 

Abigail and her partner first had to learn all about what makes an airplane fly.

Then they had to plan out the flight path they would take to get from point A to point B.

Then a quick tour of an airplane to familiarize themselves with the controls.

Then it was time to put all their knowledge to use in the flight simulators.

If airplanes truly could bounce off the ground unscathed I think we would have had a few students successfully reach their destinations, but as we know that isn’t quite the case.  It was a fun field trip though and gave the students valuable insight into an industry so important in our area.

Abigail participated in her first science fair this year.  Science is not my thing nor is it Justin’s so we’re not going to sign on for something science related unless it’s mandatory.  This was mandatory - though the kids all had to stay within the space theme.  It actually wasn’t too time consuming or painful.
The science fair was held in the evening and the Reptile Man was in attendance.  With a little bribery Justin was able to get Abigail to cuddle up with this baby alligator.  

Another fun field trip with her class to the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) in April.

A fun hallway we found while trying to find the exit.
Another project in High-C was creating a thinking activity for Imagination Celebration where all the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students would be able to participate in the activities created by the High-C class.  Abigail created a fun Scramble with Students game based off of the game Justin and I were playing a lot on our phone at the time.

(I took this picture today before sending her project to the recycle bin – the large blank spot on the left is missing the explanation of how tickets were earned)

The students received tickets based on how many 4-letter + words they could find on the board with bonus points for any words with more than six letters.

The fourth graders each needed to choose a famous person throughout history to study.  Abigail chose to learn about Anne Frank.  She read several books and created a banner to display in the school library.

Abigail’s teacher went above and beyond to keep Abigail challenged and working at her potential.  She was fantastic!  At the beginning of the year Mrs. Beck predicted that Abigail would be taller than her by the end of the year.  I think she got pretty darn close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed 4th grade! It sounds like you had some exciting memories. Love, grandma in Hong Kong

Post a Comment