Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Day

I felt pretty unprepared going into Christmas this year.  It’s my second Christmas in a row that I’ve been pregnant and I lacked much motivation and energy for going all out.  Though let’s be honest, I'm not really the type to “go all out” even if I’m not busy growing a person.  Our decorations were minimal this year, we left most everything pack up in boxes and only took out the basic necessities.  The kids spent one evening after Thanksgiving fluffing the tree while Justin and I were out on a date and then on a separate night alone at home the girls stayed up late working hard on putting together a “surprise” for us.  When we got home they had several 3D paper snowflakes made for us to hang in the windows.  They made them last year as well and I love them!

As far as gifts we kept it fairly simple – as usual.  My Mom sent us money for each of the kids (and adults) and to be honest that covered mostly everything Justin and I purchased for the kids.  Santa on the other hand splurged and got the kids a Nintendo 3DS for them to share.  It’s been a huge hit and it’s been great to have a second DS in the house for the kids to play together with.

So onto Christmas Day.  As I mentioned we told the girls they couldn’t make a sound til 7:30am.  Right at 7:30am they were in our room asking if they could wake up Jason and Katie.  We told them to wait just a little bit longer.  I headed downstairs around 8am to get breakfast started and thought they would be down any minute.  Then I heard Justin getting in the shower – oh, the torture, right?  By the time he was done sprucing up, all four kids were sitting on the top of the stairs anxious to come down and see what Santa had brought them.

I had a little help with my stocking

By the time we were done with the stockings breakfast was ready.  We took a little break to enjoy breakfast and then it was time for presents.  The kids drew names again this year and were able to pick out a gift for their “Secret Santa”.

Abigail bought Katie a package of tootsie rolls and a etch-a-sketch


Carly picked out a “Candy Shop” book that she knew Abigail wanted


Jason got Carly the Jenga game


And Katie got Jason a nerf football


Abigail wanted to give each member of the family something.  For Jason’s gift she spent hours making a car out of paper and cardboard.  She found the instructions in a craft book we checked out from the library.  She painted the car green, crafted the wheels out of modeling clay, it was impressive and the thought and love behind it made it even more special.


Throughout the year whenever the kids would say they wanted something I told them to write it down.  So by the time December rolled around they had quite the list.  Most of the things were small and inexpensive.  In fact Abigail showed her list to someone and their reply was, “most of this stuff are things my parents will buy me anyhow.”  It may sound strange, but that comment made me happy.  It is so important to me that my kids don’t feel entitled to things.  Another proud mom moment was right before Abigail handed me her wish list she said, “I'm going to look through this and make sure they are things I'm going to use for awhile.”  How stinkin’ responsible is that?  That’s not so say she didn’t want anything big, she asked Santa for a iTouch, but she knew it was unlikely and let him know she would be happy with whatever he decided to give her. 

Carly just got a peek at the package of easy bake oven refills from Grandma Kesler. 


Jason’s favorite gift was a nerf gun.  Our first gun in the house.  He’s already had countless hours of entertainment from it; in fact it’s been a fun toy for the whole family.  (Did you notice Carly’s reaction in the background?)

Katie was thrilled to get her very own coloring book
And even more excited to find stickers inside

Abigail was excited to finally get a new winter coat

The girls will forever remember Christmas of 2012 as the year they scored mounds of duck tape.  They’ve already spent many, many hours creating with their stash.

As we were opening presents it started snowing – the perfect Christmas touch.  We stayed in our pajamas all day.  Played games.  Ate yummy food (and lots of candy).  Skyped with Grandma Kesler in Hong Kong.  And enjoyed spending time together as a family.  The kids were so happy with everything they received.  A perfect Christmas Day.  

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Looks so fun, and the snowflakes are beautiful! I will have to look up how to make them, my house is feeling naked after I took down all of the Christmas stuff.

Post a Comment