Monday, December 3, 2012

Piano Pop Concert


The girl’s piano teacher is all about the classics so we were surprised when she told us that the December concert was going to be popular pop songs. 

Abigail played two pieces.  The first was “We Are Young” by Fun.  Her friend Shaila sang with the piano students on the chorus.



Their teacher changed Carly’s song to “Baby” by Justin Beiber only a few weeks before the performance.  Carly is amazing at memorizing songs though and was ready by performance time.  She played quickly, but did a wonderful job.


Abigail’s second piece was “Firework” by Katy Perry.  Shaila also sang vocals to this song.  Abigail’s piano music was too long to fit on the piano so her teacher stood nearby to help move it along as needed.  Unfortunately, midway through the song her teacher covered up a page Abigail hadn’t finished playing and then further into the song the music fell altogether and they had to stop and find a place to resume.  When the concert was over Abigail declared the arrangement a complete failure.  It’s understandable that she was frustrated that it didn’t go over flawlessly, but I couldn’t be prouder of how well she handled it and continued on.    

(I’m having trouble posting these videos so the quality is poor and I had to divide this clip into two parts)


The final arrangement of the evening was the only holiday piece and was played and sung by their teacher, “Love is Christmas” by Sara Barielles.  Perfect ending to a fun (albeit long) evening.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abigail and Carly are phenomenal! I am so proud of their multitude of talents! Love to them from Grandma in Hong Kong

Ben and Carrie said...

I'm super proud, and I'm not even these girls' mother!

I'm excited to be able to say I knew Abigail when she's playing professionally and is rich and famous. :) That girl just gets it. You can tell by the way she moves her body while she plays that she is a great player. She feels the music and knows what it's all about. And the fact that she can accompany a choir at 10 years old is phenomenal. And you're right- she handled the mishaps beautifully.

Way to go to both girls. You have some exceptional pianists on your hands Holly.

Post a Comment