Thursday, April 3, 2014

OUR HOME - the girl’s room

In case you missed it – Friday marked three years we’ve been in our house and I thought it would be fun to look back on the changes we have made since we moved in.  We still have much to do, but it’s been fun for me to see some of these before/after shots and see the progress we have made.

The girls started sharing a bedroom shortly before Jason was born.  They slept together in a full-sized bed for nearly five years.  When we moved here Abigail was 9 years old and Carly was 7; it was time to start thinking about getting them into their own beds.  It took me awhile to figure out what style of bed I wanted to get {shocker!}.  As much as I love wood - I wanted something different, so we looked at metal bed frames and upholstered headboards.  It took nearly a year to decide. 

(March 2011 – March 2012)  We bought this bed and quilt when Abigail was 18 months old – all of it is in Katie’s room now.  


In January 2012 we ordered upholstered headboards in a safe, neutral color.  While we waited for the headboards to be completed we bought mattresses and I found an amazing deal on bedding.

(March 2012 – February 2013)  Enjoying their new personal space


It was a great start, but it took us another year before we made any further progress.  In February 2013 we found some fabulous chairs for their room – they were so steeply discounted though that we wouldn’t have them for several months.  In that same shopping trip we saw a unique turquoise dresser on clearance; we fell in love with.  It is totally uncharacteristic of us to buy something on impulse, and even though we had no intention on buying them a dresser ever, we couldn’t pass it up.

(February 2013 – April 2013)


A new dresser and new chairs on order meant we had all the large pieces and their room was ready for paint and accessories.  We painted their room in April 2013.  We didn’t have enough paint to finish the room in one day.  When the girls saw it in the morning they asked why we painted the walls yellow. 

(April 2013)


Our whole house was originally painted that ‘yellow’ish color (most of the house still is) – it wasn’t until we started painting the walls different colors that it really stood out.

The chairs only took 8 weeks to arrive (we were told it would be 12 weeks) – They are so comfy and cool and so perfect for a tween bedroom.  Justin and I tease the girls we want to put them in our room.

(May 2013)  Not unusual for there to be a fort somewhere in the house at any given time


While my Mom was here for Drew’s arrival she hemmed the drapes we’d purchased so we could get them hung and we’ve added a few accessories since then.  The drapes look really dark in these pictures, but there actually a nice eggplant color in a velvet fabric.

(June 2013 – April 2014)


We still need to do something with the wall above the chairs (suggestions?) – maybe some shelves to display the many trophies and nick-knacks the girls collect?  


Over this last weekend we added some monogram letters over the girls beds.  I went back and forth over whether to paint them white or purple.  I think the purple was a good choice.

(March 2014 – Present)


I’m pretty proud of this room.  Everything we purchased (paint, bedding, furniture, frames, etc…) was either on sale or clearance (except the drapes from IKEA). Their room has taken so long to put together that the girls already want to change things up, but I’m pretty sure it’s staying this way until they both head off to college :)

No comments:

Post a Comment