Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Kauai Vacation - Day 7 (Friday, December 4)

Another slow morning for us. I seriously struggle with not having a plan in place when we start each day, but Justin doesn't quite function the same way as me and so I've got to try to relax and try to be okay letting time slip by {tick, tock, tick, tock}. At least it's given me a chanced to sit down and journal a lot of this while I wait.  Justin and Jason went for another morning walk/jog this morning and I have pictures to prove it.  Looks like they checked out Queen’s Bath.


I can’t remember what naughty thing Drew had done this morning – likely getting on one of our phones.  When I got after him, he immediately put himself in time out on the condo stairs.  Seriously, no way to stay mad at this cute kid!


Today ended up being a dry day (our only dry day of the vacation). We started the day visiting the Kilauea lighthouse. I'm not a huge lighthouse fan but the lighthouse is set on a bluff offering some beautiful views.


The lighthouse no longer functions but the grounds now provide a refuge for Kauai wildlife. There was a bluff with hundreds of red-footed boobies on it (I seriously didn't make up that name). 


As we drove around afterward we came upon Anini Beach - Justin got out to check the conditions and talked to a guy who told Justin he'd never seen more turtles in his life. The conditions at most of the beaches were too rough for snorkeling so knowing there was a great snorkeling place nearby was exciting. We knew we'd return with all our gear first thing the next morning.

We got the kids settled back at the condo and then Justin and I were off on an adventure.


We were under strict orders from our friend Sommer to not return home unless we'd seen the Napali Coast. Unfortunately, due to the winter seas there weren't any boats leaving from the north shore and to drive to the south shore (1 hr+/way) and then take a 6-hour tour would have us gone from the kids much longer than we wanted. Plus, there'd be no guarantee that conditions would be favorable enough to do any snorkeling along the way. So... Justin and I decided to see the Napali Coast via helicopter. We rely heavily on Tripadvisor when we travel and based on the reviews I knew I wanted to book our helicopter tour with a company that offers the "doors-off" option. Not that I'm a thrill seeker by any means, but I wanted unobstructed, non-glare photos.

all strapped in

To be honest I probably never fully relaxed during the flight. It was a small helicopter - not even as wide as a car (just big enough for Justin and I in the back and the pilot in front) and the seatbelt wasn't anything more than what you'd use in a car - I would have felt better wearing a full double shoulder/chest harness like they use on roller coasters. To my right was absolutely nothing but views - breathtaking in the most terrifying way.

Here we go!    

the cockpit? 


The Napali Coast! 

   

I'd still love to see the Napali Coast via boat in the future. Same stunning views just a different perspective.  The pilot took us flew into many of these canyons along the coast. 


Coming around the northern coast – where we’d hiked the previous day    

same view in the background of our family picture 
   
the lighthouse we visited this morning is near the middle of the picture 
   
Hanalai Bay 
   
how many waterfalls do you see? 
   

Turns out we picked the PERFECT day to view Kauai from above. The day was beautiful and clear allowing us to fly where only 2-3% of flights are able to go. I'm pretty sure we had a few extra minutes of flight because the pilot wanted to fly over the highest peak which is normally too dangerous. It was amazing!!!!


Our tour was right across the street from Dukes (where Justin and I ate his birthday dinner the previous Saturday). It didn't take much to convince Justin we needed to pop on over to enjoy another Hula Pie before leaving the island - so, so yum. I could eat one everyday.


Dessert was fantastic but we were ready for dinner. Already being our most expensive date ever we decided to treat ourselves to dinner at Hukilau Lanai - a restaurant that had come highly recommended by both our shuttle driver from the helicopter tour and the waitress at Dukes. Since we didn't have reservations and weren't willing to wait an hour for an opening we opted to eat dinner in the lounge. It was actually quite perfect as we were on a little table right in front of the musician playing soft Hawaiian holiday music. We could see the sun setting over the ocean and tiki torches lighted the pool area. Perfect setting and we each felt we were served one of the best meals of our lives. No joke. I have to document it because we love food so much and it seriously blew our minds. I had macadamia nut chicken with mashed potatoes - they served it with a light curry sauce that was Amazing. I'm normally not a huge curry fan but this was magical.


Justin ordered the mixed plate with two varieties of fish and a skewer of shrimp.


We hung out on the beach afterward stargazing before heading back north. I hesitate to add that Justin still stopped at Bubba's Burgers on the way back to the condo to top himself off because I don't want to taint the deliciousness of our meal (and the portions were good).

And just so you don't worry about our kids - they were loving life back at the condo. We'd hooked them up with a couple movies, popcorn, and cookies. The girls told us to not hurry home as they were loving the luxury of having a TV in their bedroom. We seriously have the best kids!

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Wow, what an awesome day! So glad you didn't fall out of the helicopter, and those pictures are amazing!!

Post a Comment