Our annual Labor Day campout is always much anticipated. It’s always a bummer when school starts
before, but it doesn’t change how much fun we have – just makes it a little
more crazy, especially since we’d just been camping the previous weekend.
Once again I wanted to get out of here as early as
possible on Friday. The kids get
out of school early on Fridays so I wanted to be on the road by 1pm. Once again, Abigail had conflicts with
volleyball and couldn’t miss her practice that afternoon/evening. So, once again, I packed up and headed
out on my own, leaving Justin and Abigail to join up with us late that evening.
Keeping with tradition we stopped in Wenatchee for
Café Rio on the way. We kept
expecting some of the other families to join us, but no one did. When we got to camp we found out we misunderstood
that the plan was to set up camp first, and then head back down to Café Rio for
dinner. Oh well.
As soon as we arrived at camp I took off Drew’s diaper
and replaced it with a pair of ‘big boy’ underwear! And with that Drew was potty training. I was actually planning on starting the
weekend before when we were at Zarahemla, but it was too dirty and cold. Drew spent most of the weekend running
around in just underpants. I
figure what better place to learn (and have potential accidents) than out in
mother nature. We had a few
accidents here and there, but he did awesome! So awesome in fact that we’ve been back now for four
weeks and he’s only had one daytime accident (and it was during our first week
back and Carly was babysitting).
And he’s been dry throughout the nights now for over two weeks. Pretty awesome!
Anyhow, the weekend was a blast. We had two new families join us this
year since the Barlow’s and LeeMaster’s both moved since last year. I hardly took any pictures because Erin
is a much better photographer than I am and she had her camera out a lot. Unfortunately, that also means I’m at
her mercy for when I actually get to see said pictures. I’m sure they’ll be worth the wait and
I know she’s got some great pictures of Drew running around nearly naked and
the kids having a blast with friends.
We brought back the super fun Kickball Slip-n-Slide
from last year. Not sure much if
any kickball was actually played but the kids sure had fun slipping from one
little pool to the next.
Funny tidbit from the picture above – Drew is
wearing a 6-12 month swimsuit with a 18-24 month rashguard. I knew they were on the small end, but
didn’t realize I’d been pushing them that far past their prime.
The weather was perfect for any and all outdoor
play. The group site is right by
the lake so the older kids came and went as they pleased. A couple families brought paddleboards and
they were rarely not being used.
Typically there’s quite a bit of nighttime wind at
this location, but this year it was perfectly calm. We couldn’t have campfires at this location either, but the
Millers had a great propane fire pit that we congregated around each night.
Carly once again had a separate tent with three
friends. Abigail didn’t have
anyone her age there, but thankfully the three seniors included her in
everything they were doing. Such
great kids!
We’ve visited the same ward in Chelan the past few
years and it was fun to have a few members remember us. It’s a small ward so we always
significantly increase their sacrament meeting attendance.
The drive home was a bear! A major accident probably added an hour
onto what should be an under three hour drive. This was the scene in the back of my car when we pulled into
our neighborhood.
Weekends like this are so good for my soul. I feel so blessed to have such great
friendships and especially love those friendships that include my family as
well. Always such great memories
made! I’m already looking forward
to next year!










No comments:
Post a Comment