Drew has been ready to move out of his crib and
into a bed for quite a while now, but we dragged our feet for a few reasons.
First, we’d have to buy a new bed and mattress and
because the boys share a room I’d want the boys beds to match – so that would
mean buying TWO new beds.
Second, I actually like having Drew contained. We haven’t had any of our kids attempt
to climb out of their cribs so the crib is a safe place. Meaning I can be in the shower and know
Drew won’t be walking out of the house on his own. Trapped in a crib isn’t however, the best situation for a
potty-trained child.
Third, I feared that moving Drew into a bed would
somehow affect his awesome sleeping schedule. Drew was still napping most days, usually 3-4 hours each
day. Who would want to mess up that
good of a thing?
Despite my hesitation it was time. I ordered some new beds (that can be
bunks if we so desire), sold Jason’s bed frame and matching dresser (for a
pretty penny – oh, how I love craigs list) and ordered a new mattress from Tuck
& Needle – at the recommendation of Laura who swears by her Tuck &
Needle mattress. I figured it was
cheaper than what we could get at Sam’s and/or Costco and with a 100 day, 100%
refund policy there really wasn’t any risk in giving a mattress through the
mail a try.
While we waited for Drew’s mattress to arrive he
wanted to take his naps in Jason’s bed.
He did great staying in bed and still slept nice and long.
Drew’s mattress arrived on 10/15 and he was so
excited to open up the big box and watch his big boy bed magically grow.
Drew was thrilled to sleep in his new bed that
night. We’d mentioned several days
or weeks before that big boys don’t use binkies, but I wasn’t about to throw
another unknown into this equation by mentioning that on his first night. However, as Drew was getting ready for
bed that night he declared that big boys don’t use binkies and that’s the last
thing we’ve heard about binkies.
For real. Not a SINGLE word
about binkies since that night he got his new bed. Could that possibly have been easier? Nope.
I snuck in that night to check on him and he looked
so adorable.
Unfortunately, naptime has suffered since moving
Drew into a bed but I think that’s because he no longer has his binkie to sooth
himself to sleep. We suddenly went
from nearly daily naps, to maybe one or two naps a week. He’ll still lay down and rest (not always happily) but naps
are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
He does fine without it’s just taking some getting used to having up and
running around all day long. I
wish my little buddy would stop growing up so fast!


No comments:
Post a Comment