Monday, July 2, 2018

Summer Boredom Buster

Twas the last days of school
And the kids arrive home early
Within minutes they’re “bored”
This can not be, surly

I take from the cupboard
A dusty container
The Summer Boredom Buster
The summer entertainer

For days they’ve been pulling
Both excited and scared
Slips of paper of tasks
For the puller who dared

Take at your own risk
But finish it you must
It may be a grand thing
It may be a bust

We’re nearly three weeks into summer and my saving grace has been the rediscovery of our Summer Boredom Buster jar.  I created this seven years ago and it’s been several years since we’ve used it.  It’s brilliant if I do say so myself.  I guess my kids are gamblers because they’ll wash windows, cleans baseboards, and pull weeds just for the off chance that they get to make cookies, play the computer, or eat ice-cream.  They are excited for Justin to get home each day so they can tell him all the crazy things they had to do.  Lest you think we’ve been bottled inside all summer, let me reassure you the kids are outside for hours every. single. afternoon playing with friends.  However, if there’s ever a lull in the outdoor entertainment they seem to be always itching to take a chance on the boredom buster.  I don’t think I’ve heard them say they are bored since.

Here’s a fun video I took early in the month:


Here’s a few pictures of tasks they have drawn:

Do an exercise of Mom’s choosing.  Jason took it upon himself to find an old exercise video and spent 30+ minutes working out with the Biggest Loser gang.


Draw a picture – Drew copied Katie’s banana picture


Jason got to eat ice-cream.  Katie and Drew were very jealous.


Here are Drew’s responses to “write 5 things you like about each member of your family” – clearly I didn’t press him to complete all five for each family member

Dad:  “He make me laugh” “He play with me” “Dad kind of drive me somewhere” “He pick me up”
Mom: “Do you let me sit on the table?” (Me: On the bar sometimes.  Do you like that?)  “Yeah” “So you kindof give me candy” 
Abigail: “She just picks me up, that is all she do” (Me: Do you like that?) “Kindof” “She just is nice”
Carly: “She play with me”
Jason: “He kindof doesn’t do stuff, he just steals stuff from me and I don’t like it”  “He just plays games. That is all that he just do”
Katie: “She play with me, but she don’t kindof play climbing ladders with me”

Jason and Drew teamed up for this one and had to write a letter to someone.  They chose Grandma Kesler…


No doubt we’ll get lots more use from the Boredom Buster Jar in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment