Thursday, September 20, 2018

European Vacation {Day 1} – Europe Bound!


I feel like I need a little preface to our European vacation before delving into a lengthy travel log.  I’ve always had three specific vacations I dreamed of taking my family on.

1.     European Vacation – specifically a Mediterranean cruise
2.     RV Trip – Banff and Glacier National Park rank high on my list
3.     Houseboat – growing up in Utah, Lake Powell was a popular vacation spot and I’ve      yet to experience it

When we went on our Disney cruise in November 2016 they offered cruisers a promo that if you put down a deposit on a future cruise (must be taken within two years) that you get 10% off said cruise, reduced deposit requirements, and additional onboard credits.  We put down the deposit, it was 100% refundable so there was zero risk involved and would give us the option to cruise on Disney again if we wanted to.  The cruises available at that time were too expensive so we decided we’d wait until the itineraries for 2018 were released and see if we could find something tempting and reasonably priced.  We were in Mexico (Feb 2017) when the 2018 itineraries were released and when we looked at the European cruises we found we were much more interested in cruising northern Europe than the Mediterranean as I had imagined.  Justin and I have been to many of the ports in the Mediterranean and were excited about seeing some new countries.  We were also considering a Southern Caribbean cruise, but to our surprise Europe was cheaper and much more unique.  So we booked our family on a Northern Europe cruise – again, the deposit was fully refundable up until 120 days before departure so we had plenty of time to see if we could make this trip work.  Our goal was to get all of our airfare covered with points.  By October we’d accumulated enough Delta points to cover our flights TO Europe and enough credit card points to cover our flights HOME from Europe.  $78.20 TOTAL to fly our family of SEVEN to AND from Europe!  Once those flights were booked with nonrefundable points we were finally set for an amazing vacation.  We only had to wait NINE more months!  Never have we ever planned a trip this far in advance.  If you recall we didn’t tell the kids about it until Easter.

Planning this vacation was a bit overwhelming.  We couldn’t get all of us over there and not see as much as we could see.  When in Europe you are so close to so many amazing places that deciding where else we would travel was a bit tricky.  It was tough to accept that we wouldn’t be able to see it all and that realistically we would only be able to tack on a few additional countries to our trip.  Abigail had mentioned several times that she really wanted to visit Paris someday so that was at the top of our list.  London also seemed a must do and Justin and I had only had one day in London when we traveled to Europe before having kids. Justin felt limited with how much time he could take off and I didn’t really see Paris as something the younger kids would find super fascinating (Justin and I had already been to Paris) so we decided that Abigail, Carly and I would travel to Paris a few days early and then meet Justin and the three youngest in London.

We would be visiting eight different countries.  Finding places to stay that accommodate a family of seven is a challenge, as is arranging getting a family of seven around.  Then there is SO much to see and do.  We researched each of the cities we’d be visiting and had a general idea of what we would do, but going into the trip I wasn’t nearly as prepared and organized as I typically would like to be.  As unsettling as that was for I couldn’t allow myself to stress about the details too much.  It was too overwhelming to think about.  Not sure if that makes any sense. 

Abigail and Carly were at girls’ camp the week before we left. They got home on Saturday afternoon (July 28) and we left for Paris the very next day.

When we got to the airport we checked in at the self-help kiosks and were asked if we would be interested in being bumped to a different flight in exchange for a gift card. I selected yes cause I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if we could make a little money in exchange for a few hours. When asked, I put a high compensation amount of $500 cause it would have to be a sweet deal for us to sacrifice time in Paris. When we went up to that Delta desk to drop off our bags the guy asked us if we wanted to switch to a direct flight instead. We were originally booked with a short layover in Amsterdam. The direct flight would leave Seattle at the same time, but get us to Paris three hours earlier. Yes, please! On top of that he also upgraded us to comfort+ class. Sweet deal, especially considering we hadn’t paid for the flights in the first place.

I have free airport lounge access through one of my credit cards and had yet to use it.  When I saw there was a lounge right across from our departure gate I decided to check it out.  It was STOCKED with grab-n-go chips, drinks, cookies, granola bars, etc… too bad my backpack was already pretty full.  I enjoyed a little snack of fresh foods and gathered a few goodies for us to enjoy on the plane.

sitting in style while the girls waited below at the gate

Anyhow, now on a comfy direct flight we settled in for our long flight.


The girls watched several movies and slept a bit here and there. I only watched Notting Hill and then tried unsuccessfully to get some sleep. Our flight left Seattle at 1:30pm so I wasn't feeling tired enough to sleep.  We arrived in Paris around 7:30am (10:30pm in Seattle).

No comments:

Post a Comment