Camp is much anticipated in our house. The girls look forward to it all
year. Abigail has been looking
forward to this year since her first year attending as a new beehive. As a fifth year she would be a YCL
(Youth Camp Leader) and would pair up with a friend to spend the week as a
youth leader over a unit of eight to ten 1st-3rd years. Abigail’s friend Megan attended camp
two years ago and Abigail extended the invitation again this year. There was some hesitation on
Megan’s parents end, which is understandable. They are a strong Catholic family and they weren’t sure
about sending Megan to a Mormon camp all week, again. Thankfully their concerns weren’t enough to keep Megan away
and Abigail and Megan had a blast, with the help of two adult UC’s (Unit Counselors)
planning out the theme for their unit.
The overall theme of the week was B.R.A.V.E. (Be
Righteous And Virtuous Everyday).
Within that theme they chose Jumanji for their specific unit. They found some fun jungle decorations
at thrift stores and made the coolest chore chart in camp history!
Each girl in the unit got to pick which animal they wanted
to write their name on.
I was asked to be a UC again this year, but since we were
living on our European vacation the day after camp I didn’t feel like I could
swing both. Finding childcare
during camp and while the girls and I were in Paris would be another big
challenge. I was a little sad, but
planning our vaca was stressful enough I’m grateful I didn’t have camp on top
of that.
Abigail and Megan went up on Monday to set everything up and
I took up Carly, a third year, and several other girls on Tuesday. It’s always so fun to drive through
camp on the first day and see how awesome all the units are. The anticipation of who’s assigned to
which unit is also a huge deal.
Carly’s assigned unit was decorated with Winnie the Pooh and included a
huge leather sectional in camp – sweet!
The crazier the girls dress the better. Anything goes at camp and I love that
my girls are able to let loose and embrace the crazy.
I also popped into Abigail’s unit to check it out.
Abigail made the cool Jumanji sign
We just got the link to some of the photos taken during camp
so here’s some glimpses into their week in no particular order:
Abigail's Unit
Carly's Unit
Carly and friends braving the ice cold river
Our ward at ward night
All the 5th year girls
I'm grateful my girls have such a wonderful camp to look forward
to each summer! It’s been such an
amazing, uplifting and fun-filled experience for them.




























No comments:
Post a Comment