Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Carly’s First High School Volleyball Season

Volleyball!  We had two high school volleyball players in the house this fall.  Abigail played on the JV team (post to come later) and Carly was on the C team.  For the most part their practices lined up pretty closely so Abigail was able to do most of the driving to/from the high school so that was really nice. Abigail and Carly’s games also lined up quite nicely – most were at the same school at the same time; however with them playing on different courts it was pretty tricky to watch them both as most schools have two separate gyms.  Our gym has bleachers between the courts so I was able to sit at the very tippy top of the bleachers and watch both games.  Tricky, but doable.

All the players parents were assigned to work at games throughout the season.  I guess they found this easier than asking for volunteers.  Since I had two girls playing that meant I got double the assignments – lucky me.  Justin is always busy at work in the fall and I’ve got five kids with five different schedules so it was tough to balance it all.  And while I’m ranting let me just say it’s really a drag that they make us pay to watch our kids play in the games, on top of already paying their $200 participation fee and buying all the unnecessary gear and attire they want the players to have.  It would cost our family $30-$40 to watch one of the girls games so unfortunately the kids don’t get to watch the girls play very often.  Sports are such a money suck.  On the flip side, I love, love, LOVE watching my girls play so it’s all worth it in the end.

Poor quality, but the only picture I have of both the girls and their teammates.


Justin did get a picture of Abigail and Carly together after one of their last games. 


Carly was the only setter on the C team.  She didn’t play setter in the middle school so this was new position for her, but she caught on very quickly and became quite a leader for her team.


Being the only setter for the team meant that Carly played non-stop.  There was one game that her team was all set for the win and her coach pulled her out for the last 30 seconds of the game.  Her teammates thought it was pretty funny for Carly to be sitting on the bench since it had never happened before.

Carly had fun playing on the same team as her friend Alyssa and had a fun season getting to know her other teammates as well. 


Carly was awarded the Wildcat Award at the end of the season banquet (which we didn’t attend), which I’m pretty sure is the coach’s award.   She had the best stats on her team with one of the lowest hitting errors and one of the best serving percentages.  So fun to watch this girl on the court!

No comments:

Post a Comment