Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Alaska Cruise {Day 3} – Dawes Glacier

Today we sailed through the Endicott Arm fjord to the Dawes Glacier.  It was a gorgeous day.  Seeing the icebergs in Iceland last summer brought us to Alaska this summer and it was so peaceful and amazing to sail through the fjord.  Cascading waterfalls, sculpted valleys, soaring cliffs all for us to behold as our ship sailed right through floating icebergs.  This is the stock photo I used back in April to announce to the kids that we were heading to Alaska.  This was us today (though without all the snow on the mountains).


Cruising Alaska is so much about the views that Justin and I justified splurging on one balcony room (the kids were on a different floor – interior, no window).  I spent a lot of time on the balcony today enjoying the beautiful scenery.  It was well worth the additional cost in my opinion.  


We saw several whales from our balcony this morning…  


And some sea lions…


If you look closely you can see Katie inside the stateroom.  I’m outside on the balcony looking in.  


It was cold, but not cold enough to keep Drew from enjoying an ice-cream cone outside on the balcony.  I tried to wrap him up in a blanket as much as I could.


As we made our way closer to the Dawes glacier we sailed through lots of icebergs in the water even spotting some seals on some of them.


Disney served hot cocoa on deck – this was also offered each time we boarded the ship after a day in port.


As we neared the glacier we spent a lot of time on deck taking in the views.  I took over 600 pictures today so this is actually just a small sampling on photos.  So hard to choose favorites.

Love the texture of these cliffsides


There were some fun character sightings…


Finally a peak at Dawes!


As the ship started to turn around, I headed back to the room to sightsee from the balcony – again, so beautiful.

so long Dawes Glacier!

The younger kids enjoyed some time in the hot tub before cleaning up for dinner.  After dinner, Abigail, Drew, Katie and I went on deck for the Freezing the Night Away Party.  It was timed perfectly with the sunsetting.


We split up tonight – some us attending a comedy show with me and Justin, Carly, and Jason went to the Captain Marvel movie.  Always something fun going on.  More ice cream of course.


And a visit with Mickey before Katie and Drew went to bed.


Late that night Justin and I went to the adult show with the ventriloquist.  The entertainment on Disney sure is top notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment