Thursday, November 6, 2008

So far this week...

Trouble eating, trouble breathing, but he can hear...

Last week Jason visited our pediatrician for his 15-month check-up. Here are his stats:

Height: 32.5 inches (85th percentile)
Weight: 25 lbs. 12.8 oz (70th percentile)

There were a few concerns we discussed with our doctor. First, I think Jason has allergies…. arrrgh, and grumble, grumble. Several weeks ago I gave Jason a bite of fried rice (with egg) and he immediate broke out around his mouth. I’ve never given him anything with nuts so I don’t know if that is something we’ll need to continue to avoid. On the bright side, I’m already totally familiar with the issues involved so if there are allergies, it shouldn’t take much adjusting. Jason will be officially checked later this month.

My second concern was that he’s had a cough for at least a month. I noticed it the most in California when he was sleeping in the same room as me. He coughed so much at night I had a hard time sleeping; I was surprised he didn’t wake himself up. Anyhow, from our experiences with Abigail this can be a sign that Jason is also asthmatic. Bummer and grumble, grumble. We’ll find out more when he meets with the specialist.

Our doctor raised a third concern. Jason isn’t talking yet. He has a few consonants sounds he makes regularly, but there really aren’t any words. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about our little guy is that he has developed in his own way, for example, walking before he can crawl, stand-up or sit-down. To be safe the doctor recommended we get Jason’s hearing checked. We felt confident he was fine because he understands us (when we ask him to get something he does). We met with a nice Audiologist today and…. Jason can hear! I’m sure he’ll start talking as soon as he has something to say that his sisters aren’t already saying.


President Elect

Like most (hopefully all) of you, I voted this week. We vote via absentee ballots, no driving involved, no line to wait in, and you can even do it a week or two before the election. This election was difficult to for me. I can’t say that I felt strongly about either candidate. I do feel strongly about certain issues, but I felt that there was not one party that had all the answers. Would it work to put them both in office and make them work together on finding the best solutions and tactics for running this nation? I wish it didn’t have to be so Blue vs. Red. I like Obama and hope he will be able to effectively lead this nation. Regardless of which candidate won, they have a daunting task before them. Who would want that job?


Fancy-Shmancy

I wish I was a girly-girl Mom, but I’m not. Never have been. Never will be. Abigail’s never been high-maintenance. Although she likes dresses, Princesses, and fancy clothes, she also wouldn’t hesitate to leave the house with bed-head hair and pajamas (she’s much like her Mom). She’s never cared what clothes she wears or if they even match. She’d much rather have someone else tell her what to wear than decide for herself (also like her Mom.)

Carly on the other hand takes much more time to get dressed. It’s not that she has a strong fashion sense (today she came downstairs wearing a brown shirt and slightly darker brown pants), but she certainly has her opinions. Carly LOVES to get her hair done. My skills include ponytails, clips, and simple braids. Her Aunt Tami has serious skills. Carly thought it was really special when Tami styled her hair in California. When I told Carly we were going to Aunt Tami’s house this morning, Carly wanted her hair done. Tami didn’t let her down.

Fancy!!

3 comments:

TamBaum said...

I won't start charging until they get to high school!

Tara said...

Darn it! I'm sorry about Jason and the allergy concern. I am glad that he can hear though. That's good news.

I love Carly's hair. I'm just starting to learn and have fun with Alyssa's hair. I certainly did not have a girly-girl mom but I do think I'm becoming more of one myself.

Chrystie said...

I felt exactly the same way you did about the election. I disagreed with some of each candidate's positions and agree with others, but I wasn't in love with either of them. Preston and I voted for different people, is that weird? I like going to vote on election day, it is kind of fun (we had no lines!)

I am totally not a girly girl mom either...I have a sister in law who always does her daughter's hair up in elaborage braids and ponies, but I seriously have to sit on Arden to get even one pony in her hair, so that is all she usually has. Oh well.

Post a Comment