Monday, February 8, 2010

Abigail's Baptism Weekend

Abigail was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Saturday. This was a day that we have all been looking forward to for a very long time.

Abigail was baptized by her Dad. (baptism link)


After her baptism she was given the gift of the Holy Ghost and a special blessing from Justin. (Holy Ghost link)

It was an emotional day for me. So many blessings come from our membership in the church. How grateful I am to have the knowledge that we have. What a comfort it is to know that Abigail can have the Holy Ghost to help guide her throughout her life.


For years she’s been looking forward to receiving her very own set of scriptures. It’s a tradition in my family that my Mom gives each of her grandkids a set of scriptures when they get baptized. Abigail was thrilled! She’s already marked a few of her favorites.


Afterward we had refreshments at our house. Everything was egg-free and nut-free, including two yummy desserts. This was HUGE for Abigail. Can you imagine what it would be like to taste cheesecake for the first time in your life? Abigail thought everything was wonderful.

The person who gave the closing prayer after the baptism and confirmation suggested that those that were baptized write about their baptism so they will always remember how they felt. Abigail loves to write and took the time yesterday to put down her thoughts about her special day. As I read it today I was very touched. She included details about the people that were there and the songs that were sung (and the desserts that she loved), but she also wrote about feeling the spirit and how special she felt throughout the day. I hope she will always remember those feelings.


flowers from Justin's sister's family
and a new bracelet from Grandma & Grandpa Fletcher

We had a relaxing weekend with my Mom and her husband in town. It was exactly what I needed. My never-ending to-do list has been stressing me out lately so to spend an entire weekend playing games and reading was perfect. And it totally helps that both my Mom and Val were great at entertaining the kids and were always helping out around the house. My Mom gave Abigail Dominos for her birthday and with a little instruction from Val I now have two little Domino-addicts at my house. Thankfully it’s a fun game for the whole family so the hours we’ll spend playing will be enjoyable.

My Mom and Val left this afternoon. As we were driving away from the airport I noticed Carly was quietly crying in the back seat. Visits with Grandma mean so much to the kids and it’s always so emotional to say good-bye. Thankfully we won’t have to wait too long since she’ll be back in April to help when the new baby comes. And she’s promised Carly it will be more than just three days.

5 comments:

Ben and Carrie said...

What a wonderful day for Abigail! She looked absolutely gorgeous in her beautiful white dress on Sunday. What a sweet girl she is.

I can feel for Carly.... my kids are in heaven when our grandparents visit, which is not as often as we'd like. We all get very emotional when they leave too- time goes by too fast when they are here. I'm so glad your mom will be back soon when baby arrives! Glad you all had such a fun weekend!

Camille said...

It looks like Abigail's baptism day was just perfect. I'm so sad we had to miss it. She really is an amazing little girl, we're so happy for her. She looks so grown up and beautiful in her white dress. I'm glad you had a fun weekend with your mom in town.

Chrystie said...

Congratulations Abigail!! She looks so beautiful in her white dress! I was baptized in the "rental" jumpsuit, so I am totally jealous!

Holly said...

Chrystie, Abigail was also baptized in the "rental" jumpsuit (see top picture). She didn't change into her white dress til afterward.

Chrystie said...

Okay, I meant that ALL I got was the rental jumpsuit. I just had to wear a regular old non-white dress to the rest of my baptism. Poor me.

Post a Comment