Apparently this is our last mid-winter break. I’ve always thought it was a crazy break, coming only 6 weeks after a 2 week Christmas break, and followed shortly by a week-long spring break in April. I actually love having my kids at home with me all day and enjoying a week of lazy mornings, but it will be great to get out of school before the end of June next year. I’m trying to take full advantage of our time off this week. While many are heading off to Disneyland, Hawaii, and San Diego we’ve been doing some organizing.
We have a cupboard in our kitchen that the girls are able to keep some of their crafty stuff. Keeping it organized has been a battle we’ve been fighting for years. Most of the time we open the cupboard papers and stickers fall all over the floor. I was inspired to get organized by a recent post by Becky Higgins, a scrapbooking and organizing genius (link).
Craft Cupboard: the before and after
The craft cupboard really is one of the least of our organizational nightmares so we didn’t stop there. For the most part we enter our house through the garage, which means our laundry room is the first room I see everytime I come home. A few years ago we put in shelves so we could store our shoes, games, etc… We can fit a ton of stuff in there, but everything always seemed to just get shoved wherever we could cram it (loose puzzle pieces, craft projects, card games… basically anything and everything.)
This is what welcomed me home:
Of course, things tend to get worse before they get better:
Having the girls home has been a HUGE help, in fact we let them stay up til almost 10pm Monday night trying to finish getting the laundry room cleaned out.
Laundry Room: the before and after
Becky’s post was really about getting her bathroom closet organized so I decided it was time to get our linen/medicine closet organized. The results of this project make me the most excited. With the piles of medicine we had in here we never knew what we had (I found 3 bottles of Tylenol). This way everything has its place and the next time we need Children’s Tylenol in the middle of the night we won’t have to search for it.
Linen Closet: the before and after
Don’t get the wrong idea. These are probably the only 3 areas of my house at all presentable at this moment, but I’m working on it. This nesting stuff is really tiresome!
2 comments:
I am so impressed!!! Your "nesting" is much stronger than mine, I keep thinking about these great ideas...look at your follow through! I will start organizing...tomorrow!
Everything looks so great- I am jealous! I am always wanting to be 10 times more organized than I currently am and always thinking of ways to be more organized, but it is a lot of work and there never seems to be enough time. You're on a roll now- your house is going to be in tip top shape come baby time!!
Post a Comment