Saturday, September 25, 2010

Did the Puyallup

Yesterday we made our annual pilgrimage to the Puyallup Fair. I suppose this is where I'm supposed to say we had a blast, but to be honest it was a bit disappointing for me this year.

The food at the fair has always been a big part of our experience, but without Justin’s dad there to encourage us to partake we didn't. Eating a whole bakers dozen of scones isn’t very likely with only 3 of us allergy-free and able to eat them - so we decided to skip them entirely this year (because how can you only buy a few scones, when it is so much more economical to buy a dozen?). Eating corn on the cob wasn't an option with the cluster of cold sores on the corner of my mouth. We did get a basket of curly fries, but they were a disappointing soggy mess. Of course we found ourselves in the dairy barn drinking free chocolate milk (and eggnog) several times, but when we went back to get our traditional ice-cream cones we noticed they had an allergy sign posted so we opted to get ice-cream on the way home instead. And unfortunately I forgot to go back and purchase a block of fudge before we left.


I know that going on rides is a huge part of the fair for most people, but we usually don’t go on any. I think the girls were a little disappointed but unfortunately for them their parents see it as a huge waste of money. It would have cost us over $10 just for them to do one silly ride.

We walked through all the vendors, but found that since we are moving and purchasing a new home there really wasn't much we were interested in or in need of. The items I wanted to find just weren't there. In years past the fair was a great place to find adorable western chief raingear, but now that it's so popular they opt to sale at Nordstrom’s for a much higher price.

I wanted to find a cute handmade hat to keep Katie warm this winter. I know there are an overwhelming number if people that sell this sort of hats online at etsy, but I would rather be able to try it on prior to purchase. But alas, it was not to be found.

It wasn’t all a drag – we saw a few shows – an impressive magician and an entertaining circus act. You may recall these performers from last year


The weather was perfect. Katie did awesome and was perfectly content just sitting in her stroller all day (and she even took a little nap). The big kids really did have a great time. Jason was super excited to see the animals… until we got there. He wouldn’t even get close to the horses or cows (maybe they were too big?) and the sheep were too loud. He was very interested in the pigs and even wanted to revisit them before we left.

The only animal he dared touch in the petting farm was a little bunny.

By 5:30pm Justin was thoroughly bored and ready to call it a day – thus ended our shortest trip to the fair ever.

2 comments:

Ben and Carrie said...

I was in search of handmade hats for the babies for winter too, and was very disappointed not to find any. They had some last year, but not this year. Darn...

the Holyoaks said...

I love your random post. What is the deal with that chair? Weird. We've never been to the Puyallup fair but I think we'll have to trek out there sometime. Oh, and people tell you your kids and baby are cute and adorable because they really are. Just beautiful. All of them.

Post a Comment